Sign in to follow this  
TomBrad

Introductory texts on Dzogchen

Hello, can anyone suggest introductory texts on Dzogchen for me please? I've heard about Dzogchen but have not looked at it in depth.

Thanks,

TomBrad

Hello, can anyone suggest introductory texts on Dzogchen for me please? I've heard about Dzogchen but have not looked at it in depth.

Thanks,

TomBrad

I've heard that Chogyal Namkhai Norbu's "The Supreme Source: The Fundamental Tantra of the Dzogchen Semde" and "The Crystal and the Way of Light: Sutra, Tantra and Dzogchen" are good books to start out with.

The Crystal and the Way of Light: Sutra, Tantra and Dzogchen first.

http://www.atikosha.org/2010/12/crystal-and-way-of-light.html

Jan

The Crystal and the Way of Light

If you are really intelligent, you will understand the meaning of this title automatically and need nothing further. When I first read this book, back in 1987, back in the days of the Harmonic Convergence and so on, I had no clue what it meant, I was suspicious that it might be some new age book. And when I first read about "self-liberation" I was confused since I thought this was a book about Tibetan Buddhism. Well, I have learned a lot since then.

This book was the book that broke the ice of the Dzogchen teachings in the Western World. Prior to the publication of this book, there were no accessible, easy to understand, writings about Dzogchen for the general reader. Even though this book is accessible, its contents are nonetheless profound and lay out the context of the Dzogchen teachings in a clear manner.

Chogyal Namkhai Norbu has done more to bring the teachings of the three series of Dzogchen to the West than any master before him, or since. He has tirelessly circled the globe times beyond count teaching Dzogchen in nearly every major capital of the world in Asia, Europe, North and South America and Australia.

He has labored over the years to clarify that the teaching of Dzogchen, the great perfection, is an independent Buddhist vehicle, a self-sufficient means to total liberation, one capable of taking a complete beginner to the stage of the final liberation into the body of light in a single lifetime.

Masters such as Chogyal Namkhai Norbu are termed "second Vajrasattvas" in the terminology of the teachings of the great perfection. We find ourselves very fortunate indeed that Norbu Rinpoche chose to teach Dzogchen to willing students.

Beyond Norbu Rinpoche's Dharma teachings, his commitment to preserving and fostering Tibetan culture is without parallel, having formed A.S.I.A, which funds the building of schools, hospitals and so on in Tibet and the Himalayas and Shang Shung Institute, which sponsors the first school of Tibetan Medicine in a Western Country, among other projects.

As for Rinpoche's other activities, many people are largely unaware that Norbu Rinpoche has been busy with preparations of critical editions of the most important primary texts of the Dzogchen tradition. These texts, when published, will undoubtedly set the foundation for much future translation work.

Those of us who are students of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu are fortunate indeed to have been graced to be in the presence of this master. Another great, if largely unknown, master of the Dzogchen teachings, Kunzang Dechen Lingpa, stated that Chogyal Namkhai Norbu was an "inconceivable" master of the Dzogchen teachings. Despite the presence in the West of such luminaries as HH Dudjom Rinpoche, HH Dilgo Khyentse, and so on, in my opinion there has never been a master quite like Chogyal Namkhai Norbu in the West, and there is likely never to be another master quite like him again for the foreseeable future.

I recommend therefore, that those who have yet to meet him in person and receive the blessings of hearing him teach Dzogchen should do so right away. As Norbu Rinpoche himself is fond of saying, "Everything is in time, and time is passing..."

May the life force of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu be firm, may his wishes be accomplished without effort, may the dakinis and dharmapalas guard him from every obstacle, may his teachings spread throughout the whole world, ensuring the ripe harvest of happiness, dharma, prosperity and good fortune for all sentient beings.

Sarvamaṅgalaṃ

Posted 1st January 2011 by Malcolm Smith

Edited by xabir2005

Sign in to follow this