Sign in to follow this  
TSchloss

Educational Establishments to study the Tao abroad?

I'm new here, and new to the way. I've been doing some reading, and a lot of breathing practises. I've recently come into a large sum of money that can only be used towards educational purposes, and I thought that it would be an amazing experience if I were able to go study the way in another country, specifically an eastern country. I have never heard of such an establishment before though, nor have I heard one of that would speak/teach in english. If anyone has any ideas or knowledge on the subject, the level of gratitude I would have for you could not be put into words. Thank you in advnace.

There is a martial arts school on Wu Dang mountain which offers lodging options as well. If you don't have a martial arts background you could probably start with Tai Chi. If you don't want to learn these arts (through which Taoism is taught) they may be able to direct you to sort of a philosophical school.

http://www.wudanggongfu.com/kungfu/foreigners.htm

There is also a Wu Dang school in Austin: http://www.wudangtao.com/content/

Wow, that is actually so inredibly helpful you have no idea. I don't have any martial arts background, but would Tai Chi be the only thing I should be working on if I plan on going?

Wow, that is actually so inredibly helpful you have no idea. I don't have any martial arts background, but would Tai Chi be the only thing I should be working on if I plan on going?

Well, hey! It's an honour for me to even remotely play a part in someone taking residence at Wu Dang Shan!!

Keep in mind that you are in for spiritually-physical boot camp and you will find internal potential by digging deep deep deep into your tolerance threshold, however you will be doing so in the company of masters!!

You might not need a martial arts background to get started. Your temperment and physical condition might determine the best vehicle to learn from, ie., which martial art to focus on.

I would email them through the website, tell them what experience you have, what your motivations are, how long you can afford to stay, and ask them if they have a program that you would fit into.

In the traditional arts "it takes commitment to qualify" so find out whatever you can from the website, and be sure to read more about Wu Dang Mountain. A good book I highly recommend you pick up, to get an idea of the traditions that thrived there, is Seven Taoist Masters, translated by Eva Wong.

It's a blessed day my friend! :)

Sign in to follow this