Sahaj Nath

Depression Kills, Qigong Saves

Is this the book you are referring to? http://www.amazon.com/Chi-Kung-Health-Vitality-Practical/dp/0091876583

Is there any talk of cosmos chi kung in the book?

My Sentiments Ish, the same here.

I found Sifu Wong Kiew Kit Method personal that I could understand and use from the book. The Seminar with Sifu Wong boosted the effectivness and elavated the later training sessions. Books are on amazon.com. I recommend you to read "Chi Kung For Health" first as I found this book easy to read and may make you understand how to use this method.

Q

Edited by Audiohealing

I take it the best way to learn Cosmos Chi Kung is by taking a class...

Is there sufficient information in the book to start practicing Cosmos Chi Kung without guidance?

Yes it is this book,

there are selected exercises of the Shaolin Cosmos Chi Kung

out from the 18 Lohan Hands of the Shaolin Wahnam.

The Qigong which Sifu Wong teaches is the Cosmos Chi Kung as described in the first post by Hundun - the full name is "Shaolin Cosmos Chi Kung".

In this book he will also give examples of other Qigong schools.

Q

Hmmm... I don't quite understand what you're getting at. I'm currently doing Flying Phoenix qigong and have been for 5 months now. There is no visualization or directed attention in this style of qigong so I guess you may call it "just a bunch of movements" but combined with the breath control sequence, there are some very tangible results, however, it has not had any effect on my mood and depression, which is why I became interested in the cosmos qigong when I read the article.

Is always best to learn from a teacher and this Shaolin Cosmos Chi Kung is to reach higher levels of performance by participating the class.

Have you ever seen someone here who is against seeing a teacher :lol: ?

Shaolin Cosmos Chi Kung belongs to safe type when you follow the adivce that is given.

Without guidance I would advice to exercise "Lifting the Sky".

But the book is for exercise and oriented to find your goal for performing Qigong.

Suffient it was for me to bridge the time of about 4 years before I could visit Sifu Wong since what I learned is a "skill" which I could use for any Qigong method.

The difficulty I see is about your understanding if you can grasp the idea of the "Selfintroduced Chi Flow". If you do not understand - all exercise are just callinesthics.

It is worth a try to see if you can understand it - say it is a challenge for your wisdom and for me english is not my main language and the book is written in english.

Else the book is a joy to read and uplifting.

Remember my words for this practise:

Q

Hmmm... I don't quite understand what you're getting at. I'm currently doing Flying Phoenix qigong and have been for 5 months now. There is no visualization or directed attention in this style of qigong so I guess you may call it "just a bunch of movements" but combined with the breath control sequence, there are some very tangible results, however, it has not had any effect on my mood and depression, which is why I became interested in the cosmos qigong when I read the article.

Sifu Wong's book was written quite a long time ago, his teaching method has changed since then. For example in the book it may say to visualise, however when Sifu teaches it in person - for the excercise Lifting the Sky - there is no mention of visualisation.

So the emphasis may start on getting the physical movement correct, then the breathing and finally the chi flow. Every class is started by relaxing, going into a Zen state of mind and smiling from the heart. This is usually done in a relaxed upright standing posture.

So when you practice from the books I would advise you (and have seen instructors of Sifu advise) to not visualise, just keep your mind clear and gently aware of your movements and breathing.

The three important rules to take note of are

1. Don't Worry - you don't need to get the form 100% correct, it's more important that you're relaxed and have a good mind state.

2. Don't Intellectualise - having thoughts and wondering if you should be doing this or that hamper your ability to generate chi flow.

3. Enjoy your practice - you will have better results and generating chi flow is easy if you are enjoying yourself.

I would definitely recommend the book Chi Kung for Health and Vitality and for sure learning from an instructor would be ideal.

Audiohealing,

you don't need a book or a special class to practice this. of course it's always of benefit to receive direct transmission from the master; however, it's not necessary.

you can piece this practice together simply by going on youtube and understanding the article. Lifting the Sky is really the only technique you need to induce qi flow.

the only thing you can't see is Sifu Wong smiling from the heart and simply enjoying his practice. this is all you do. some people practice without swaying; some people practice with swaying. doesn't really matter. once the qi flow is induced your body will sway or move in some fashion anyway. simply allow it to happen.

everyone is moving differently. they're just letting go. no set pattern just let go and flow. and enjoy yourself.

doesn't matter what it looks like or doesn't look like. all that is required is a capacity and willingness to genuinely surrender.

watch these videos, watch others on youtube if you think they will give you more confidence. but it really is just this simple.

surrender to the natural flow of qi, and let go of any expectation of what it should look like. even if you don't move much at all, so long as you're open and free, and smiling from the heart, it is correct.

i too have suffered greatly from depression in my life. this is one of my favorite medicines. at first not much happened. i twisted slowly at the waist and my arms swung very subtly. a week or so into it i began to cry and emote in all kinds of ways. and it felt so good to let it out! :) i yelled and growled and generally just let myself go nuts. i didn't look anything like the guys in the videos above, but they haven't led the life that i have, either.

things flow much smoother these days. :)

i hope you have read the article more than once. i must have read it at least a dozen times. it's very good.

real secret is in the letting go and smiling from the heart. allow your body to express its own needs. a Ya Mu puts it, allow EVERYTHING to happen. and it doesn't take hours a day of practice. if you can do 10 or 15 minutes, that's great. even 5 minutes if you're having a particularly difficult day. just don't skip a day. even 5 minutes can be a victory.

enjoy! and when you're done, just place your hands over your abdomen and allow the energy to settle. that's it.

Edited by Hundun
  • Like 6

Five years ago I started watching a video of Sifu Wong and went into a chi flow just from that.

If you're already somewhat psychic and sensitive to energetics it becomes easier to pick up on these things and magnify your own practice.

Face to face transmission from a teacher is still best though in my experience.

Edited by Enishi

Hello,

I am aware this is an old thread but, I would like to thank you Hundun for it. (and flowingzen.com)

For the first time, I just did the Flowing Breeze Swaying Willow, and it's a success!

First, I was swaying, my body rotating counter clockwise, then doing back bends, then counter clockwise. My body was spontaneously moving. This goes on and on, going back and forth. Then after some time I consciously stopped and put my hands on my lower dan tien, to finish it.

Now analyzing by my body movements, it become clear to me that it's stimulating/impacting/excercising my spine. (If anyone has knowledge in asanas, you know the spine is the doorway to becoming disease-free.)

But of course this spontanoues movement is not new to me since I am a praticioner of Fyling Phoenix, and decided to give FBSW a go.

:)

Edited by ShivaShakti
  • Like 3