Empty Cloud

Rooting

I like the format used in BJJ. You drill the technique carefully then do live sparring where your opponent resists you.

My Kung Fu teacher hasn't sparred with me yet as I don't know shit and just holding postures and doing Xingyi 5 element forms is enough(I really like Xingyi btw).

Writing from Xi'an!!

My experience with form/fighting is radically different. I think your opinion may derive from the fact that there's teachers out there (the majority?..) who teach the form without its martial applications.

I derive my opinion from my experiences with sparring and a couple of real fights. The forms are good, but a fight does not conform to the form. At best the form helps to develop the muscle memory so that when the opportunity presents itself, you can string together a couple of strikes at whatever vulnerable targets are available at that split second in time.

We seem to have shifted away from the original point I brought up. By focusing on a single form to the exclusion of all others, you will be selling yourself short.

5687689904_617cd387de.jpg

That's well rooted :lol:

The forms are good, but a fight does not conform to the form. At best the form helps to develop the muscle memory so that when the opportunity presents itself, you can string together a couple of strikes at whatever vulnerable targets are available at that split second in time.

Speaking of Tong Long we practice Jongs (2 person practice) to develop the sensitivity and timing that allows us to chain together techniques. Sifu would say that our forms are put together to help us remember the techniques. Tong Long has < 10 Forms (I have been taught 8 empty hand, 2 Stick forms, a Walking Stick and Sai) they are short and not in a fighting sequence.

For Tai Chi I have a personal preference for just one form, the yang long form. I do know a fan form that I never practice, and I reluctantly ended up learning the Beijing 24 as that is what Sigung teaches and Sifu taught that form for his last year in town (because it's easier for most people to learn) I picked it up just by helping with the lessons but I don't practice it :lol:

Edited by Mal Stainkey