Sign in to follow this  
Lucky7Strikes

Some Things I learned Over the Summer

I just wanted to share certain things I came across during meditation over the summer. By no means I am perfect in any of these things.

1) No-self, self, emptiness, God, whatever, doesn't really matter when it comes to effectiveness of practice that engenders compassion and open mindedness. The approaches are just different. If it leads to detachment from selfish objectives and leads to lighter and freer day to day living, it's working. Whatever term you choose to describe your experiences in don't limit yourself to a set of methods. I learned the importance of forgiving yourself or looking at yourself from a higher Self as very effective ways of dealing with past emotions. These things aren't necessarily in the Taoism or Buddhism manuals.

2) In any standing or sitting posture, make sure that all your weight comes down to the earth and does not strain the muscles or the organs. This requires a very open stance at all times because the spine is located towards the back. If you align the neck, the spine, the shoulder blades, the sacrum, the weight should effortlessly settle into the earth so you feel connected and effortless all the time.

3) Not shutting down inner desires or indulgences. You crave things for a reason and instead of just dismissing them on ground of some doctrine, like dispassion or "emptiness," you should pursue them until there is an understanding of why there is the desire in the first place. And if that desire tends to be harmless, it's perfectly fine to indulge yourself once in a while. What's wrong with enjoying the senses? I guess this goes back to number one, that skillful means often triumphs over any truths or doctrine.

I think honesty has helped me a lot and being okay with the way I've been going at things. And also taking things slow. I used to be in such a hurry to try to understand everything and beat myself over the head for not doing this, or doing something stupid. Just taking things slow and even being a bit lazy seems to work its own magic. :D

Just 2 cents. Good luck to all! ^_^

Edited by Lucky7Strikes
  • Like 2

Just taking things slow and even being a bit lazy seems to work its own magic. :D

Just 2 cents. Good luck to all! ^_^

Yeah. Gotta' watch that laziness though. It is addictive.

Nice to read your post Lucky. :)

I am totally with you on taking things slow and watching in laziness and whatever is occuring instead of pushing and trying and demanding.

Taking it easy is the way and not taking things personally .

I have allowed myself so much rest and put many interests on hold in past year that at some point I was wondering if that is OK ,if it is OK to feel so rested and well? Shouldnt I be doing something productive instead of sitting on my ass and looking at the sky in my free time or staring at the wall for 30 minutes just becouse it feels so good or stopping to look at the ants that I saw on the way home. Conditioning runs so deep.

You have mentioned forgivness to yourself. This is so important and fundamental ,it feels just so right for me. Forgivness is change of heart , an opening .Feeling okay with life as it comes even if it is not okay :lol: .

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this