ffvii

Meditation for beginners

for a beginner at meditation, how should i start off and how should i get better and progress?

Da Zuo.

Basically just sit. I prefer to sit in a chair with my feet on the ground, lean against the back rest (no slouching though, you must be upright), and put my hands on the arm rests or on my thighs palm facing down.

That's it. It puts your energy and mind into a state of peace. There is nothing else to do with this technique. Zen practitioners call this type of practice shikantaza, but they have a specific way of sitting (which isn't necessary).

Later on, you can progress to sitting on the edge of a chair and balancing the spine (no back rest). Then you can progress to crossed legs while sitting on a cushion, if you want. Or using a seiza bench...whatever you like and what suits your specific purposes.

Sometime during this progression, you can add in belly breathing. Or there are other types of meditation...for instance, visualizations, mantras, affirmations...

Or you can just start with a more advanced type of meditation, right from the beginning. It's all up to you. What you should find out is, "What do I want to accomplish specifically with this meditation?" Or maybe a better question, "What is meditation, exactly?" Like, what is the purpose of sitting there?

However...to begin I think da zuo is good. Just sit (with no pleasurable distractions, such as TV in the background)! It's so easy.

It's a little commercialized and I have no personal connection but I really like the approach of Peter Fenner.

http://www.radiantmind.net/

I was recently given a copy of a set of his cd's by a friend and really like the way he presents the material and guides the learner into meditation and awakening.

for a beginner at meditation, how should i start off and how should i get better and progress?

for a beginner, just sit. just sit every day. even ten minutes will benefit you greatly over time. don't strive for the so called "goals" of meditation, just sit.

anchor your mind in quietude and stillness, and know that this is rejuvenating like taking a bath is to your body. when you take a bath, you don't think "oh no am i doing this right?" or "should i wash my legs first, or my arms, oh no!?" you just take a bath naturally. this is like sitting.

as you realize your obstacles (knee pain, too many thoughts, etc) you can address them as they arise. as you realize your goals (quietude of mind and heart, internal radiance, development of inner senses, etc) you can tailor your practice to meet these goals as it progresses. in the beginning, just rest your mind and train your body to have good posture when sitting. if you catch yourself slouching, smile and straighten your back. if you catch yourself on the "thought train" smile and let the thoughts pass like clouds in a clear sky. they will come and go inevitably, great masters have thoughts.

hahaha just sit :) keep sitting :) grow as you grow don't push it at first