tulku

OMG! A Huge Raw Foods Bodybuilder!

There has also been research cited in Gabriel Cousens' book Spiritual Nutrition that suggests eating foods at temperatures higher than 105 degrees can even denature enzymes (protein) in the mouth/saliva, and the in pathway the food/substance takes all the way down to your stomach. Though of course that's a hard rule to follow as I still drink warmed teas. Gabriel suggests though that it's best to have food no lower than room temperature, warmer is better but not warmer than say 118. There's conflict about the true "raw food" temperature as 106 is actually the temperature enzymes start to break down, (not all but some) and the rest having different temperatures up to 118 where all enzymes and protein become denatured. Think about fevers. The temperature may not make all that much a difference as the heat quickly diffuses upon entering the mouth, and I'm sure the enzymes can be replenished enough if it's not too much.

This just goes to show though, that hot or excessively warm temperature in food is not all that necessary,though at times it may help in certain conditions.

Edited by Non

I believe the sprouts and baby greens are key to making the raw food diet work and also minimize any spleen-pancreas disharmonies. Sprouts contain an abundance of enzymes and predigested macronutients, along with vitamins and minerals which are bound as naturally occuring organic compounds which make them more bioavailable and digestible..

Baby greens, microgreens and sprout greens over mature greens makes a huge difference also. Mature greens can often have excess cadmium and other heavy metals which can inhibit thyroid function (spleen's TNT function also). At least the ones that are popular. Goitrogens and excess oxalates are other compounds found in mature greens that make digestion harder and directly affect the spleen yang. When it comes to greens, the best are the sprout greens, baby greens, microgreens, edible weeds, seaweed and seaveggies and microalgae. This can make all the difference when it comes to the spleen's TNT function. Iodine as well from sea veggies can also help to warm you up.

Lettuce are also probably good and don't require them to be immature. Some might consider them more cooling and watery.. I've seen some sources categorize them as neutral.

Fruits also provide a thermal effect. Of course not in excess. Greens, nuts and seeds, when soaked and/or sprouted make superior sources of fats and protein. Keep to the optimal ratio of omega 3s to 6s of 1:1 to 1:4 to make EPA and DHA in the body without needing supplementation, and omega 9s are good for filler which doesn't disturb this intake ratio. The fats also help keep a person warm.

One should also make sure to choose warming and more yang foods.

The key is in the seed(s). Sprouts are definitely human food. When it comes to grains and legumes though... it might be best to either stay away from them or only consume them when they are well enough sprouted. For grains it's ok to consume when the sprouts are 1-3 inches long or so. Like any normal grain sprout. That is if you consume them... Beans, are probably best only after it has formed a shoot like pea shoots and chinese bean sprout. Not all legume sprouts are good for eating raw. Only peas, adzuki, mung, lentil and maybe chickpeas. But since it's hard to get them to the shoot stage really it seems peas and mung are optimal.

It does take work but I think there's something to it.

Let's not forget the edible weeds. When they are small they can be quite tasty.

And foods that are cold in temperature definately can impair the spleen/stomach function. No colder than room temperature is normally best.

Edited by Spirit of the Tiger

How should one prepare broccoli? I have always steamed it for 5 minutes. Today, someone told me that steaming it kills the indole-3-carbinol.

Why all the conflicting advice these days? :(

How should one prepare broccoli? I have always steamed it for 5 minutes. Today, someone told me that steaming it kills the indole-3-carbinol.

Why all the conflicting advice these days? :(

Bump.