TheTaoBum

Condolences To Aussie Flood Victims

Hey guys,

The entire world has seen the trouble Australia is in. I just want to pass on my sympathy to any and all aussie bums affected by this Disaster. Our prayers are with you all.

Yes im with you on this one :)

Usually us Kiwis have a bit of healthy competition between us & the Ozzies ;)

But these floods have bought out a lot of heart felt sympathy for our Antipodean brothers & sisters,

Good luck to those affected.

As you would all know by now Brisbane & South E QLD is experiencing its worse flooding

since 1974, thankfully the water didn't peak at the same level as '74 but the cost to Brisbane is somewhere in the $20 billion area. Brisbane as most of my generation is now finding out was built on a flood plane and a boom in development on the riverfront has led to some very expensive homes being destroyed. My brother is currently charging around Brisbane trying to find stock for the restuarant where he works after spending yesterday evacuating people from effected areas-not bad for an athiest. To witness the devestation is to see the awesome power of nature uncensored. It's certainlly made me reflect on how affluence can contribute to a culture of complacency,particulary in fields that credibility lie in their predicitive accuracy or short-term projections. While it is too soon to lay blame, i am wondering why after weeks of torrential rain no one

sounded the alarm bells. Nature is cyclic, 1893 saw flood levels rise up to 8 meters, then 1974 now 2011, we are very good at forgetting. While some people may deem the above critism as insensitive,I would point out that Australians support an enourmous bureeaucracy that is more than willing to drain the life blood of the nation in goverment salaries but totaly inept at managing our enviromental problems. Perhaps our impotent ex Prime Minister's $600,000 a year pension would be better put to building a dam that works.

I want to offer my condolences to the families who have lost loved ones.

Yes,The entire world knows full well about the trouble we're in right now. The sad thing is Australia sends billions of dollars in aid to foreign countries in trouble, yet hardly any of those same countries have stepped up or even bothered to offer their support :angry:

I know nz was one of the first to offer their much appreciated help & donations. Thanks on behalf of many.

Edited by TheTaoBum