Niklas

Kundalini yoga

Sivananda wrote a book called "Kundalini Yoga" in 1935.

I am told that it existed in northern India and was kept secret by the upper castes there so that the lower castes wouldn't have access to the kundalini. So maybe there was a practice before yogi bhajan ??? im no expert just passing it on from my KY teacher

Very cool, I'm ordering a copy to see if there is any overlap in the practices taught by YB.. .

I have most of the books, if not all, from the bihar school of yoga. They are very very good books, and quite easy to understand. The above mentioned Kundalini Tantra is a book that gives practical steps to follow. In it there is a good bit of theory and background, and complete instructions on a safe practice.

i've often seen that book, but i held off from buying it because i understand its a companion to saraswati's A Systematic Course in the Ancient Tantric Techniques of Yoga and Kriya, which i can only find as a hardcover for $50 or so

It sounds like you are recommending Kundalini Tantra on its own, without the foundation of A Systematic Course... so i just wanted to double check.

I love kundalini yoga, it gets my energies blazing, but i am still having a hard time with the cultish aspects and the so-called sikhism of it all ("so called" because real sikhs don't recognize bhajans whiteclad followers as legitimate at all, so i don't know what to make of it) No disrespect, sat nam brothers and sisters, but i am having a gut level rejection of it and i really appreciate sivanandas book for giving some foundational practices that don't come with the baggage. and saraswati was a student of sivananda right?

thanks for the clarification

i've often seen that book, but i held off from buying it because i understand its a companion to saraswati's A Systematic Course in the Ancient Tantric Techniques of Yoga and Kriya, which i can only find as a hardcover for $50 or so

I have looked through both, and it seems to me that Kundalini Tantra is like extracting the essence of The Systematic Course.

and saraswati was a student of sivananda right?

Right, but Satyanada puts some stuff in print that Sivananda never did. For example, Sivananda's version of Kriya Yoga.