Everything

Happiness in solitude

I'd also like to point out that much of spirituality is overcoming our corporeal limitations and becoming more than an 'average' person. So 'studies' and such that suggests humans need companionship to be happy don't necessarily apply to a monk, for instance.

Feeling connected to the whole is much more important than being physically next to someone. Connection to the Divine, spirits, etc. Universal Love.

Even materialists can feel connected to others by realizing that we are all made of stars. Or connecting to all the other people who throughout the ages have sent out love to all conscious beings.

Edited by RyanO

I don't agree that solitude is bad or it's the BEST THING EVER. It's kind of in between. Yes it's great for self discovery but if you spend too much time in solitude you won't be able to enjoy the life created by man. Man has made a lot of stuff and pretty much everything in the city is man-made. Clearly there is a lot to do in cities and even if you hate the city there are many other lifestyles outside of that to see and pursue.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is a lot of life to have through interaction with people. People are so diverse and varied there is a lot to learn and discover that you wouldn't see in solitude.

And although I see the benefits of solitude for self discovery, I would also wonder if maybe you could learn more about yourself by traveling and meeting people, especially worldwide.

But I'd still try solitude... just not for too long

Ok.. I think IT IS possible to be happy in solitude. But when people are 'getting into hermetism" like it's a trend is different. THey come to think it's cool, that it's IDEAL. That if anyone has a problem with it, it's because you are weak, and 'unmanly'. Or just "incomplete" and "too dependent."

This I disagree with. In fact, it's a very hard path. It takes quite a decision to become completely isolated and choose to do so. This is not the same as "normal isolation" whereby a person seeks alone time. Even monks, don't live in complete isolation. They have temples, etc. They are in a community. That's different from a society.

Edited by Non