Owledge

Your behavior in dreams - realistic in a way?

I was wondering what you think or what people might have researched about this:

Could the behavior of the dreamer in a dream be considered realistic, i.e. how he would act in the real world based on the current personality? And if so, what parts of the self would have to be removed in order to make this the case? I mean, I got the impression that it's a bit like when people are drunk and thus less inhibited. What exactly is missing or faded out there in a state of drunkenness?

I would say that what's missing in dreams is something different, but I can't say what. Does it always seem like some higher part is missing and one acts more animalistic and impulsive in a dream? Or does it only seem that way when the dream is about unprocessed fears?

Because my behavior in a dream kinda positively surprised me a bit, and another point of interest would be to hear about 'dream anomalies' that caught your attention and might give more insight into this.

One dream anomaly of mine would be that in one dream at one point I was thinking about myself "Why isn't he doing xy?!" like I was watching my own actions.

Another interesting dream anomaly (dunno whether helpful for this topic though) was when I had a dream that took place in the same fictional environment as a former dream did, and I seemed to remember helpful things from the first dream. Either that, or it was a kind of déjà vu in a dream. :blink:

Edited by Hardyg

goldisheavy hit a lot of good points.

As a tip for lucid dreaming (if you're into that sort of thing, and don't do it naturally/spontaneously very often), monitoring your behavior in a dream is a great dream sign to take note of. A trick for lucid dreaming is "dream signs", so if you habitually act out of character in a dream, record that in a dream journal (or just keep a mental note). As you become more aware of it, the next time it happens in a dream, you can say, "why am I doing this? That's right, it's a dream sign. This is a dream!"

Keeping awareness of your thoughts and actions is also something that one can cultivate through meditation, and carry it with you in all of your actions. So in that sense, each area helps the other one out.

As for why? Well, try asking that question in a dream ;)

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

Keeping awareness of your thoughts and actions is also something that one can cultivate through meditation, and carry it with you in all of your actions. So in that sense, each area helps the other one out.

I do that without having had to meditate. Intellectual attribute. The mind watching itself. Comes naturally when thinking is a hobby.

About my self-critique in my dream: I think this occured because lately I did a lot of critique of TV series, pointing out the flaws in characters' behavior to myself.

Generally I noticed that when I do something specific a lot so that it almost becomes a habit, it tends to be reflected in my dreams.

About my self-critique in my dream: I think this occured because lately I did a lot of critique of TV series, pointing out the flaws in characters' behavior to myself.

Generally I noticed that when I do something specific a lot so that it almost becomes a habit, it tends to be reflected in my dreams.

Yeah, and being aware of and deconstructing those habits is, if anything, a good way to start lucid dreaming (if that's what you're into). If not, then it just helps you be more aware of what it is you are doing, and helps you make decisions because YOU want to, not because it's some habitual reaction to whatever is in front of you.

Yeah, and being aware of and deconstructing those habits is, if anything, a good way to start lucid dreaming (if that's what you're into). If not, then it just helps you be more aware of what it is you are doing, and helps you make decisions because YOU want to, not because it's some habitual reaction to whatever is in front of you.

I find most of the time I am pretty much the same in and out of dreams - my psychoogist friend said this was a 'bad' thing - meant I didn't have a strong alter ego and sociopaths don't have a strong alter ego either and eventually start to become their alter ego blink.gif

Interesting thing... focussing on your hands (in any position ) or imaging your hands apparently leads to more lucidity in dreaming because the portion of the brain which handles the transition into sleep is also the portion of the brain which controls our hands.

Edited by -O-
  • Like 1

I find most of the time I am pretty much the same in and out of dreams - my psychoogist friend said this was a 'bad' thing - meant I didn't have a strong alter ego and sociopaths don't have a strong alter ego either and eventually start to become their alter ego blink.gif

:lol: Wow.... that's.... wow.

Interesting thing... focussing on your hands (in any position ) or imaging your hands apparently leads to more lucidity in dreaming because the portion of the brain which handles the transition into sleep is also the portion of the brain which controls our hands.

Interesting indeed!

Sounds like your psychologist only saw one side. Maybe this 'doctrine' is assuming that we behave in dreams with too little restraint and if that's the behavior in waking life, of course this can be seen as problematic. But what if it's the other way round?

Maybe based on a deep gap between psychology and spirituality. You know, where the same thing is seen as evil from one view and as divine from another. How would your psychologist friend judge a shaman in action? ;)

Edited by Hardyg

Sounds like your psychologist only saw one side. Maybe this 'doctrine' is assuming that we behave in dreams with too little restraint and if that's the behavior in waking life, of course this can be seen as problematic. But what if it's the other way round?

Maybe based on a deep gap between psychology and spirituality. You know, where the same thing is seen as evil from one view and as divine from another. How would your psychologist friend judge a shaman in action? wink.gif

Its interesting you bring up shamanism because it is a huge topic of interest for him, personally, not professionally. He attempted for a few years to do his thesis on shamanic ritual and the benefits it could have on modern mental health but he couldn't find an adivsor which would support it.

My retort to him on the sociopath idea was, having similar or no difference in behaviour/self reflection ould also be indication of a balance between both ego and alter ego rather then the suppresion of one side over the other... to which he agreed - not that I'm an example of balance.

Another interesting thing is.. he has just managed to get approval to run a government sanctioned group therapy regiment based on meditation in one of hte hospitals in Toronto - not an easy sell.

Edited by -O-