beoman

help critique Daniel Ingram's "hardcore dharma book"

Remember I said one of the difference between a Buddha and an Arhant is that a Buddha is omniscient ;)

ah true. well I'll worry about such things once i'm an Arhant instead of debating them now

This is a contradiction and missconception.

Maybe you should say what your definition of enlightenment is.

well I meant to say that what he said could easily have come from someone who is an egoist.

No not really. The universal characteristics of reality/each sensate experience: impermanence, unsatisfactoriness, non-self, are universal.

Since these are universal, the realizations of everyone doing the same practice will definitely be universal.

Luminosity is unique while Emptiness is a truth that is universal. I supposed Rokkie is talking about the luminosity.

indeed! the Buddha was also a bit of an egoist after first becoming enlightened, as he said to Upaka:

"I am one who has overcome all, who knows all, I am detached from all things; having abandonded everything, obtained emancipation, by the destruction of desire. Having by myself gained knowledge, whom should I call master?"

"I have no teacher, One like me is not, in the world of men and gods, none is my counterpart

"I, indeed am the Arahat in the world, the teacher with no peer, the sole Buddha, supreme, ENLIGHTENED, all passions extinguished, I have gained Peace."

"Those are the Conquerors who, like me, have reached the extinction of cankers. I have vanquished all thoughts, ideas, notions of evil. For that reason, Upaka, I am a Jina a Conqueror, a victorious One."

No, he is not an egoist.

He found a different way to cultivate away from the Vedas, or at least, I think

he did.

Luminosity is unique while Emptiness is a truth that is universal. I supposed Rokkie is talking about the luminosity.

Thanks for pointing out...

Tao is Flowing... unique and fresh and luminous at every moment... as Heraclitus would say, "Upon those who step into the same rivers, different and again different waters flow."

Thanks for joining us at TheTaoBums! :)

Edited by xabir2005