Astral_Anima

Electricity in my upper back

Hey all,

So i just came back from visiting my dad; while I was at the airport waiting for my flight I was practicing a certain breathing technique in half lotus for about 40 mins and then again on the actual plane for about 30 mins. On the flight I began to feel what i can only describe as electricity in my upper back kinda in between my shoulder blades. It hurt but it felt good at the same time and it gave kinda like "spastic shocks" after I stopped. I stopped because I felt like I was about to burst out screaming or crying or something(not something to do on a plane, lol).

The technique i used was simple. I was breathing in forcefully imagining my stomach filling with energy and when i exhaled (also forcefully) I tightened my stomach muscles and imagined the energy being stored in my lower tantian. After doing about 10 mins of this I simply stopped breathing and relaxed, quieting my thoughts. I successfully stopped breath for roughly 5 mins or so before I felt the need to inhale again. Of course I continued to hold my breath past the urge to inhale which is what seems to provoke the "electricity". I'm assuming it's one of two things, either a LONG awaited heart opening or i'm simply forcing my lungs to contract which may feel pleasureable but also hurt.

Anyone have any insights? Much appreciated.

-Astral

I've found that it's dangerous to do some yogic techniques while flying. If I were you I'd go to an acupuncturist and make sure your organs (especially heart) are in good working order.