forestofemptiness

Emptiness and Nihilism

I think there are problems with positing a true self as consciousness. I do not think that consciousness as we think of it is the same as the ultimate principle proposed by the advaitins. I also think that this sort of talk leads to the immediate mirroring awarenss, wherein they stop as consider this the ultimate principle.

People nowadays take the immediate mirroring awareness to be the ultimate principle. This is why Xuansha said to people, 'Tell me, does it still exist in remote uninhabited places deep in the mountains?'

---Foyan, Instant Zen

I think there are problems with positing a true self as consciousness. I do not think that consciousness as we think of it is the same as the ultimate principle proposed by the advaitins. I also think that this sort of talk leads to the immediate mirroring awarenss, wherein they stop as consider this the ultimate principle.

People nowadays take the immediate mirroring awareness to be the ultimate principle. This is why Xuansha said to people, 'Tell me, does it still exist in remote uninhabited places deep in the mountains?'

---Foyan, Instant Zen

Please elaborate.

---Foyan, Instant Zen

The problem with a rational approach to Consciousness is that it cannot be defined. So I am certain that the Consciousness I am referring to is the same as the Absolute Principle proposed by the Advaitins. The problem was, is and always will be syntax...because in general sense, the word Consciousness only refers to a limited subset of what it really is.

I would be more than happy to use the Sanskrit terms, but then again it becomes a problem because english-speakers (or non-sanskrit speakers) don't know these terms (or only know a translated version of these terms).