Sign in to follow this  
Soulthriller

Most poetic translation of the Tao Te Ching?

I believe that the more metaphorical and symbolic the Tao Teo Ching is, the closer it is to the essence of understanding Tao, since abstract and complex aspects of ultimate reality cannot be downloaded into word syntax in a complete manner. I am wondering if anyone would be able to recommend a very poetic and metaphoric translation of the Tao, rather some literal or transliterated copies.

Many thanks

I believe that the more metaphorical and symbolic the Tao Teo Ching is, the closer it is to the essence of understanding Tao, since abstract and complex aspects of ultimate reality cannot be downloaded into word syntax in a complete manner. I am wondering if anyone would be able to recommend a very poetic and metaphoric translation of the Tao, rather some literal or transliterated copies.

Many thanks

Your premise is difficult, because in my opinion -- while focus on wording is clearly a mistake -- the depth of the TTC is found in groundedness in the real world, not in abstraction which is a flight from it. Given my viewpoint, I recommend Ursula Le Guin's version of the Tao Teh Ching.

Hi Soulthriller,

I do understand what you are saying and asking for.

I have my favorite, Henricks' translation, but that is not poetic by any means.

The only thing I will suggest is to go to this site: http://terebess.hu/english/lexikon/l.html

find the translation that reads best in your mind then you can buy the book so that you have the translator's notes and comments.

Best Wishes!

James Legge's translation attempts rhyme and meter wherever possible, and so it is quite literally poetic. IMHO this just serves to show why that's a bad idea, but you can find it at the link Marblehead provided above. EG, from the first chapter:

Always without desire we must be found,

If its deep mystery we would sound;

But if desire always within us be,

Its outer fringe is all that we shall see.

Poetry is certainly in the mind of the reader - I'd agree that you should try and look at excerpts from multiple translations then buy the one that sings to you.

The choice will always be arbitrary. My own favourite is the Jnae English Tao Te Ching in collaboration with Gia-Fu Feng. The reason being that it was the first version I read.

Sign in to follow this