Sign in to follow this  
thelerner

UFC chat

Even as a peaceful semi-enlightened Ki-Aikidoist who seeks only harmony w/ the universe I find myself watching and admiring the UFC, the fights, the reality show, the conditioning techniques. Its great.

One thing that shows up is those w/ the hollywood muscles tend to lose to the non-body builder real strength guys. For real functional strength it seems better to look at a fighter back, rather then big pecks.

Michael (alright, the above sounded gay, I'm not, not that theres anything wrong w/ it)

Bodybuiliding muscle is mostly show every martial artist knows that.

It actually hampers your progress at BJJ which is more about learning positioning and being able to flow into different techniques. Strength is useful but someone with superior techniqe and flexibility will generally be better(Aikido, Chinese internal arts it is the same).

As Karl Gotch says for combat sports the number one thing is conditioning, conditioning, conditoning.

For me that would be bodyweight excercises and kettlebells. But just training in MA itself is probably the best. Doing BJJ(or whichever art) for 2 hours is serious training. Even some of the Aikido classes I used to do were serious training. Some of my japanese Aikido teachers had pretty large muslces(not like bodybuilders but good) just by doing aikido.

I'm a big fan of kettlebells, but the more I do WW, the more I'm inclined to say that mobility work and clubbells would be the way to go for a fighter.

My guess is that the best way to train is the Frank Shamrock method: do fight moves in a repetitive, conditioning way like katas in karate, but with more grappling as the focus. That way he can develop conditioning and mobility in an extremely focused manner while visualizing himself fighting and developing his instincts very sharply. That and sparring is central to his training.

Different modalities work for different body types it is not a one size fits all situation. The Great Gama of India was supposedly untouchable in his day and got his conditioning with bodyweight excercises and Indian Clubs. Andre Arlovski, the current UFC heavyweight champion supposedly trains with Clubbells.

But then you have someone like Fedor, heavyweight champion of Pride and considered by far the best in the world, who does no weight training and gets all his conditioning through sparring, running and basically just by practicing his art.

Sonnon is into Sambo I think(Fedor is the world Sambo champion) and finds the clubbells and stuff useful while the world champion of his art doesn't use them. I don't think if I used clubbells for 100 years I would be able to compete with Fedor.

When I get better I'll train exclusively with kettlebells for a few months and Sean can do clubbells and I'll try to make my way to Oakland(or he can come to Phoenix) and we will roll together and settle which is the better tool :P

Edited by Cameron

Perhaps off topic but cool anyways:

Tonight Coach Sonnon and Coach Wilson won two gold medals in the San Shou Championship, which was held in Mobile, Alabama!

Coach Sonnon knocked out the 28 years old Professional San Shou fighter.

Coach Wilson won on points in the third round (his opponent was 50 lbs heavier than him).

Congratulations!!!

That was 12/3/05, and apparently Sonnon isn't a native to the San Shou system either. From the rmax forum. I didn't think Sonnon was a striker, as the post implied.

Edited

Congrats to Scott

Now if he can get a DVD of Andre Arlovski, current UFC heavyweight champ, doing a clubbell workout I would definetly buy that.

Edited by Cameron

anyone know how old Scott is? I'm 37 and always been an okay fighter with a good zen that arises when I need it. Maybe when I'm 47 I'll be ready for the ring? He certainly is an inspiration!

Why don't you do some RMax retreats/seminars or become a certified instructor? You can teach the wealthy housewives of the homes you sell intu flow and prasara yoga whatever.

Then make a DVD which combines CST with Qigong and sell it or open your own gym/studio in North Carolina.

Yoda Yoga!

I've given Ken Cohen's books to several of my clients, but that's as far as I've taken it. There's been some talk of moving back to Phoenix but Mrs. Yoda can't deal with the desert. I asked the dictionary if it would be cool to move and he said it would be alright, but I'd have to get a divorce. Being lazy on the consort front, I'll just chill here.

Once I get established in a practice routine that I don't overhaul every few days, the next project is getting the comedian thing going. 1-5 years is the plan.

As part of the comedian thing, I'd like to dabble in a bunch of crazy shit like jump into the ring or trying out for reality tv, etc more for getting some fun material together.

-Yoda

C'mon dude! Ditch you family so we can cruise Scottsdale and Tempe together teaching ASU chicks the subtleties of the force :)

Kidding! Do not ditch you family! Anyway you clearly have mutated into a southerner and would probably miss your grits.

The likelihood of us being subtle is low, but that general thought process did cross my mind.

An observation: Many years ago watching the original UFC fights BJJ seemed to be the ultimate in martial art efficiency and well, ethics. These days it seems so many people know defenses for it that over half the time its about mounting and elbowing/punching in the head til they're bloody and/or knocked out.

Its lost its ?innocence? its cleaness?

Michael

MMA is different than pure BJJ. MMA is a fusion of all MA's. This includes striking, grappling, Judo, wrestling etc. The best fighters in MMA are good at everything. For example the two best pfp in the world are probably Fedor and BJ Penn. Both are not only black belt level BJJ(Fedor is Sambo) but K1 level strikers. In other words, they can knock you out or submit you.

What you are referring to is what is called " ground and pound". This basically involves taking down your opponent and using strikes until you knock them out or just do enough damage that they tap.

If you are not atleast a blue belt level or higher in BJJ, you would probably be done at this point. But if you are a BJJ black belt this is where you are deadly.

To use an example, Mirco Crocrop is considered the deadliest striker in MMA(though Fedor handed him his ass) Mirko was so confident going through guys left and right then he fought Antonio Nogiuera who is a BJJ black belt. Crocop dominated the fight standing and even tried some gnp and it looked like he would definetly win the fight then suddenly Antonio was able to submit him with a simple armbar.

So even the deadliest striker in MMA gets caught with 'basic' BJJ moves.

Bottom line if you want to be in MMA you need to train and be good at everything. especially at the UFC/Pride level. If someone is only a good striker or only good at BJJ they won't go far.

But for 99% of the regular population BJJ is still the best IMO. Like Frank Mir said(Former UFC heavyweight champ and BJJ black belt) if you take BJJ for 3 months you will be schooling any untrained person on the street.

ps. In over ten years in MA I have never had to use anything on the street ever. And my intention is to keep it that way.

Edited by Cameron

anyone know how old Scott is?  I'm 37 and always been an okay fighter with a good zen that arises when I need it.  Maybe when I'm 47 I'll be ready for the ring?  He certainly is an inspiration!

9605[/snapback]

I believe he's 36.

Sign in to follow this