林愛偉

What is it to break habits?

Hi Lin,

what about contemplating the breath instead of reciting Buddhist mantra?

That has obviously being used, but would you say that it is equivalently effective?

Or there is something in the Mantra, or something in the "Religious" Mantra, or it is the "Buddhist" Mantra, that makes it particularly effective.

What I am trying to understand is where doe the effect come from. Is it the fact of repeating something (as my teacher use to joke, Omm, coca cola omm, cocacola omm, cocacola, OMMMMM pepsi). Ot is the content of the mantra relevant. But not necessarly the tradition. SO for example there are practitioners who use to repeat the name of Jesus. And there is of course a long tradition of mantra in Induism too.

Or it is really something about those particular mantra that makes them particularly effective.

Many thanks, and good luck with your school and your new marriage.

Pietro

Hi Pietro... Thanks for the good wishes.

The recitation is not religious. The Buddha's Name recitation has the effect of subduing other false thoughts. Its like reciting our original nature, basically. Therefore, the mind is always thinking about one thought: Amitabha. That one thought points to our original nature...Buddha Nature. Its a function with a proper result.

What makes the mantras effective, is that they are a language of the universe of non-duality. They are spoken through the Buddhas. They are true words...meaning non-defiling words with the function of attaining wisdom, purity of mind, enlightenment, rebirth in Buddha Pure Lands, health, spiritual abilities and wisdom...eradicating Karma, jeez, I can be here for a long time explaining some of these functions.

You can't recite anything and expect to attain wisdom... ^_^

Certainly reciting cocacola , or pepsi will do nothing for you.

Peace,

Lin

Hi Pietro... Thanks for the good wishes.

The recitation is not religious. The Buddha's Name recitation has the effect of subduing other false thoughts. Its like reciting our original nature, basically. Therefore, the mind is always thinking about one thought: Amitabha. That one thought points to our original nature...Buddha Nature. Its a function with a proper result.

What makes the mantras effective, is that they are a language of the universe of non-duality. They are spoken through the Buddhas. They are true words...meaning non-defiling words with the function of attaining wisdom, purity of mind, enlightenment, rebirth in Buddha Pure Lands, health, spiritual abilities and wisdom...eradicating Karma, jeez, I can be here for a long time explaining some of these functions.

Certainly reciting cocacola , or pepsi will do nothing for you.

Peace,

Lin

Thank you Lin.

Actually there are some physiological benefits from mantra that are independent of the phrase. So for example the cocacola mantra was actually used and attained calming the heart, relaxing the heart beat, and I don't know what else. (Those were measured, I am not making this up)

And it does make sense, because there is of course some level of nervous and muscolar tension that is purely coming from having random thought. If you just can get the mind to go circling even on something simple, that will have some basic effects.

Now the question of course would be how far would those effect goes, and you very clearly explained that the effect you are speaking about would not be reached with another mantra, which was my question.

Many thanks, :)

Pietro

Thank you Lin.

Actually there are some physiological benefits from mantra that are independent of the phrase. So for example the cocacola mantra was actually used and attained calming the heart, relaxing the heart beat, and I don't know what else. (Those were measured, I am not making this up)

And it does make sense, because there is of course some level of nervous and muscolar tension that is purely coming from having random thought. If you just can get the mind to go circling even on something simple, that will have some basic effects.

Now the question of course would be how far would those effect goes, and you very clearly explained that the effect you are speaking about would not be reached with another mantra, which was my question.

Many thanks, :)

Pietro

The effects from concentration are very beneficial... the coca-cola recitation won't get you to enlightenment, or eradication of karma.

That's all I mean ...lol

Peace,

Lin

:):):)