TheSongsofDistantEarth

Whats Up With All the Tasering?

More and more, the news contains incidents of police using their Taser guns at the least sign of resistance or questioning their authority. Now cops have a really, really hard job, but part of being a good police officer lies in being a good intuitive street psychologist. Being able to calm someone down (no, not those tweaked out of their minds on drugs), but ordinary citizens. Recent incidents like these are disturbing, to say the least. You can almost expect these thugs to Taser first, and talk to you later...maybe. There are also incidents where people die after being Tasered. What do you think? Justified, or just brutal and bad police work?

rKcf20TBgqw

VPRrHYn3TiU

EmByfTKKUV4

Yes. This is a hotly debated subject. I really cannot take either side of the debate because I agree with both sides in certain areas of each's arguements.

I really like that the police have an option other than pulling their .38 and blowing people away.

Be well!

Justified, or just brutal and bad police work?

I think it is normally justified, though sometimes the police and security people go too far. I remember reading a story a year or two ago about a guy who got tasered while holding a baby. That one really threw me for a loop. How do you taser someone holding a freakin baby!? Obviously sometimes people do act without thinking, and it can have tragic results. At the same time, like Marblehead said, I'd rather have them pull out a taser on someone than a gun and end up killing even more people because they overreacted. I mean, if these guys are gonna overreact a certain percentage of the time, I'd rather have them do it with a weapon that usually isn't lethal. But certainly some of the people who are using these weapons do need to practice more self-control.

EDIT--I found the story about the man holding the newborn.

Edited by Erdrickgr

I mean, tasering a mother getting out of her SUV with her kids watching? Cop couldn't just tell her to get back in the car? I'm talking about incidences where there is no real threat, it's just a matter of routine to Taser anyone who may be questioning an officer? I work alongside police in an ER, and oftentimes see how situations get way escalated when security/law enforcement come in with heavy hand, when often a sympathetic ear will de-escalate a situation, not fucking chemical/physical restraints. Like I said, it can be deadly.