Sign in to follow this  
GrandTrinity

Posture

I am getting zafu+zabuton cushions (zazen type style) this week, and so I am thinking about having perfect posture in order to sit in nirvana for a good time! :lol:

I did a search for posture and didnt find anything too interesting. When I sit, I can force my back to be perfectly erect, however, I am concerned that this is NOT the best posture as it should perhaps also be balanced naturaly as per the curve we are born with in our spines...yes/no?

So looking for a way to make that balance/alignment, I was thinking perhaps, that by aligning the 3 tan tiens energeticaly, other components of posture should fall into place; including but not limited to the balanced spine, shoulders being not too much foward, neck/chin alignment, etc.

Another thing that should help is Mantak Chia's rocking? See Awaken Healing Light Appendix.

Any other comments/suggestions/experiences?

I am getting zafu+zabuton cushions (zazen type style) this week, and so I am thinking about having perfect posture in order to sit in nirvana for a good time! :lol:

I did a search for posture and didnt find anything too interesting. When I sit, I can force my back to be perfectly erect, however, I am concerned that this is NOT the best posture as it should perhaps also be balanced naturaly as per the curve we are born with in our spines...yes/no?

So looking for a way to make that balance/alignment, I was thinking perhaps, that by aligning the 3 tan tiens energeticaly, other components of posture should fall into place; including but not limited to the balanced spine, shoulders being not too much foward, neck/chin alignment, etc.

Another thing that should help is Mantak Chia's rocking? See Awaken Healing Light Appendix.

Any other comments/suggestions/experiences?

8933[/snapback]

Re M.Chia's rocking technique.

I use this sometimes in sitting. Subtle rocking motion arising from the base of the spine and/or points of the hip bones.

Really small movement which is almost like a vibration.

Do front to back or side to side. Start with larger vibration and let it settle our through the structure, travelling up the spine becoming dispersed over the spine and moving up and out.

I find I can even subtly do both side to side and front to back rocking simultaneously and create a tight spiral which travels up.

Any of these can be moved internally as to be not even visible externally, but still there.

Sometimes slight front to back rocking initiated consciously becomes very subtle wave which stays and moves through as if something solid were travelling through the orbit and the gravity of it is causing small motion in the body. Perhaps this is Actually what IS happening.

Easy technique to help relax when you get tight in sitting a long time.

Of course, on the other hand, some camps of meditation say this is all training wheels type stuff and that once you really have it you won't be aware of the gross physical body at all. As for me...useful.

Craig

Sign in to follow this