Thunder_Gooch

$199 Computer Based EEG (Brainwave Monitor) Now Shipping.

http://www.neurosky.com/

Thought you guys might like a heads up, units are now shipping.

Edit: The idea is to use the brainwave monitor software to learn to control your own brainwaves and guide them into a state of deep meditation that resembles that of monks that took many years to achieve the same results. Not to play games :)

Edited by More_Pie_Guy

That's just wild!! Wow... The first stages of virtual reality games and interactive movies... SOOOO COOOL!!! I hope it's used for strictly entertainment purposes.

Edited by Vajrahridaya

hehe I'd like to try it just to equate sensation with feedback...yeah...pretty much an intellectual curiosity...

Reminds me of a very cool game i played on the Expo in Hanover (Germany) in 2000.

Both players sit infront of eachother with a thing on there head that registers eeg values.

In the middle is a small ball, goal is to let it roll towards your opponent by being relaxed.

I wanted to buy it but it was so damn expensive :) pitty !

http://www.mindball.se/product.html

http://www.vivifeye.com/mindball/index.html

Price:

singleplayer game: 7,542 $

2 player game: 18,859 $

Edited by minkus

Why?

The idea is to use the brainwave monitor software to learn to control your own brainwaves and guide them into a state of deep meditation that resembles that of monks that took many years to achieve the same results.

The idea is to use the brainwave monitor software to learn to control your own brainwaves and guide them into a state of deep meditation that resembles that of monks that took many years to achieve the same results.

and how does this monitor reduce the time to get into deep meditative states? the methods used would still be the same. concentrating on breath, relaxation. classifying your state by brain wave terminology changes what? I don't get it.

and how does this monitor reduce the time to get into deep meditative states? the methods used would still be the same. concentrating on breath, relaxation. classifying your state by brain wave terminology changes what? I don't get it.

It's called biofeedback. You can fix your hair and shave without the use of a mirror, but having one makes the whole process much easier. The eeg is merely a tool, like a mirror into your mind. Certain types of meditation like tummo and qigong meditations that revolve around strong focus generate large amounts of gamma activity, and it takes many years to reach the levels of expert meditators. Using a eeg as a mirror to view your own brainwaves could shorten the time required to master such states. Or so the theory goes.

I have this one.

Wild divine

It's a lot of fun!

Grasshopper,

Looks very cool, looks like they combined a galvanic skin response and ekg monitor for biofeedback. I might consider using this in edition to the eeg. Thanks :)

Edited by More_Pie_Guy

It's called biofeedback. You can fix your hair and shave without the use of a mirror, but having one makes the whole process much easier. The eeg is merely a tool, like a mirror into your mind. Certain types of meditation like tummo and qigong meditations that revolve around strong focus generate large amounts of gamma activity, and it takes many years to reach the levels of expert meditators. Using a eeg as a mirror to view your own brainwaves could shorten the time required to master such states. Or so the theory goes.

Agreed. Let's take meditation out of the dark ages and into the new millennium. We have the technology, why not use it? Bruce Lee did. I wonder what Lau Tzu would have done if he had access to such a device.

With such tools we can shave years, heck even decades off traditional time lines. Did the ancients know it all, or did we evolve to find a better, quicker way? I am leaning toward the latter. It is best to learn from the past, but our time is now. Why not enjoy the fruits of our discoveries?

Lao Tzu may have taken an ox and a cart to travel 25 miles in one day, but my car can travel 25 miles in 30 minutes. Is Lao's way better than mine, or did we end up in the same place? Possibly I may have missed some of the details, the smells, the sights along the way. Or is my way BETTER because I have more time to play when I get to the destination?

All I know it it is the way now. Who has an ox in the garage? I will look at the old ways and apply it to the new. Enough of the secrecy, mysticism and encryption. Let's apply the Tao to what it means NOW, not what it meant a thousand year ago. That is if we really know what they meant in the first place.

Edited by Bum Grasshopper

I just don't see how this helps. meditation is not about entering into deep states. it's about what you do in those deep states. it's not a race, these states are not the goal. having a monitor will not help you with Tummo, because having a monitor will not help you melt drops or ignite the inner fire or bring energy into the central channel. Nor will this monitor help you enter deep vipassana states and attain insights about the true nature of reality. All this monitor will tell you is how fast your brainwaves are going. If i'm meditating, knowing whether i'm in Beta or Theta doesn't change anything. What matters is my own conscious experience. Am i remaining fixated on the object? am I remaining in a clear and open state not disturbed by thoughts and emotions? the EEG monitor will not tell you anything that you don't already know. It just gives you more bullshit to think about and worry about. Another product of the materialistic age. just my opinion

Edited by mikaelz

I just don't see how this helps. meditation is not about entering into deep states. it's about what you do in those deep states. it's not a race, these states are not the goal. having a monitor will not help you with Tummo, because having a monitor will not help you melt drops or ignite the inner fire or bring energy into the central channel. Nor will this monitor help you enter deep vipassana states and attain insights about the true nature of reality. All this monitor will tell you is how fast your brainwaves are going. If i'm meditating, knowing whether i'm in Beta or Theta doesn't change anything. What matters is my own conscious experience. Am i remaining fixated on the object? am I remaining in a clear and open state not disturbed by thoughts and emotions? the EEG monitor will not tell you anything that you don't already know. It just gives you more bullshit to think about and worry about. Another product of the materialistic age. just my opinion

If you try it you will get it. I do not have access to high tech EEG devices, but the brainwave entrainment and low tech devices I can afford lets me know when I am in alpha, theta beta or gamma state. I learned this very quickly relatively speaking. If anything eles, it is FUN!

Are they needed? NO! Can you progress with out them? YES! Can they help you progress? YES!

The choice is yours.

Your correct, an eeg is 100% completely unnecessary. The only thing it does is give you a real time readout of your brainwave patterns. This is useful only for biofeedback purposes. I just thought some people might be interested in a cheap eeg to use as biofeedback in their training.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy

Are they needed? NO! Can you progress with out them? YES! Can they help you progress? YES!

The choice is yours.

not trying to start an argument, i'm genuinely interested because I don't understand. could you please tell me how an EEG monitor helps you progress?

Has anyone watched this?

"Ken Wilber Stops His Brain Waves"

Pretty fascinating.

ya i saw that, pretty cool.

Edit: The idea is to use the brainwave monitor software to learn to control your own brainwaves and guide them into a state of deep meditation that resembles that of monks that took many years to achieve the same results. Not to play games :)

It is really cool. Now let's talk tech: is it a machine by itself, or it connects with a computer? What OS? ALso Mac?

Also what kind of software/program are available?

Maybe we could make an open source program that works with it.

Part of the problem is that when your eyes are open you can't go very deep. So we would need to use some different feedbacks. Like sound.

Hey Pie Guy, are you getting one of these? I'd really like to order one, (been saving for an eeg), but they're so new and streamlined that I'd love to hear from someone who's used one. Anybody with one on the way I'd love an update when it gets there.

Thanks.

Brian

not trying to start an argument, i'm genuinely interested because I don't understand. could you please tell me how an EEG monitor helps you progress?

It is scientific fact that when in light meditation, your brain is abundant in alpha waves. In deep meditation, theta. When monks perform extraordinary feats, they are brimming with gamma waves.

Would it not be helpful to know what your brain is emitting during your practice? Such information supplements what you already know or feel.

Brainwave entrainment will key you in to specific frequencies. When I do a meditation dealing with visualizations or movements, I want to be in an alpha state. When trying to connect to the subconscious or inner self, theta. Gamma seems to tie everything together.

Hope this helps.

It is really cool. Now let's talk tech: is it a machine by itself, or it connects with a computer? What OS? ALso Mac?

Also what kind of software/program are available?

Maybe we could make an open source program that works with it.

Part of the problem is that when your eyes are open you can't go very deep. So we would need to use some different feedbacks. Like sound.

I believe it works on windows and mac. They allow you to develop applications and resell them, also there is a project called open eeg you may be interested in http://openeeg.sourceforge.net/doc/

Hey Pie Guy, are you getting one of these? I'd really like to order one, (been saving for an eeg), but they're so new and streamlined that I'd love to hear from someone who's used one. Anybody with one on the way I'd love an update when it gets there.

Thanks.

Brian

Hi Brian! Yes mine is supposed to be here today, after work I will post my review. :)

Awesome! I'm really excited to read it.

I believe it works on windows and mac. They allow you to develop applications and resell them, also there is a project called open eeg you may be interested in http://openeeg.sourceforge.net/doc/

Hi Brian! Yes mine is supposed to be here today, after work I will post my review. :)