Owledge

CRT vs. magnet - Why certain colors?

This is a brainteaser. I'm wondering what exactly is happening when I put a magnet near my CRT. I know all the basics (electron beam, dot mask), but what I'm trying to figure out is in the area of 'fringe science', with a special focus on magnetic lines of force and their interaction with other things.

I clarified through research that the magentic north pole is said to emit the lines of force and the magnetic south pole receives them.

My experiment doesn't seem to show that the magnet has a general effect on the way the CRT monitor works, because the effect is selective: The 'emitting' north pole produces a yellow-brownish area on the screen, while the 'receiving' south pole makes the area blue-greyish.

So the question is whether the magnet has a wavelength-specific effect on electrons, or whether it influences the electrochemical process of the phosphor.

Another thing I'm wondering is how it comes that - according to my research about the magnetic poles - orgone/chi seems to be pushed by a south pole, not a north pole. I derive this from claims about how an orgone zapper works. In it a magnet is supposed to push orgone into the body, and the south pole is pointing towards the body.

Andy ideas? :D

Edited by Hardyg

Here's what I remember: A CRT (cathode ray tube) monitor has electron guns mounted at the back (one for each of the primary colors) which sweep the screen with a stream of electrons several times per second. The screen is studded with phosphorescent dots which glow when electrons strike it. Every pixel is made up of three such dots placed close together, each of which glows one of the three primary colors: red, green and blue. So if you bring an electromagnetic field close to the monitor, you're messing up the aim of the electron guns, causing many of the electrons to strike random parts of the shadow mask. This interaction between electricity and magnetism is relatively complex.

BTW mainstream science isn't that leaky! :lol:

Edited by nac