findley

Tao Te Ching; SotGF revelations

Re-reading the Tao Te Ching the other day, I believe I can present it along with the Secret of the Golden Flower as companion pieces. (What should be a 'no duh' concept... Though it apparantly is not......)

Remembering my study of the Tao Te Ching in Highschool, I referred to the book as a 'living philosophy' that covertly introduced to the (serious,) reader a meditation method. Now, I realize that the SotGF is a manual elaborating on just this aspect of the Tao Te Ching.

I'm going to use this thread to post direct quotes from a penguin translation of the TTC to elaborate this point, when I get around to feeling like it...

cut from 1:

"Hence always rid yourself of desires to observe it's secrets; yet always allow yourself to have desires to observe it's manifestations'

--

Perhaps one of the most forgotten and undescored points in taoist philosophy-- on the very first page of the TTC :rolleyes: (god everybody is stupid. I only hope such rampant stupidity affects me, infects me, to a lesser degree,,,)

Here we see the first hint at Golden Flower cultivation: 'ridding oneself of desires', one may equate to, "turning the light around'.

hmm, let me just reproduce the whole chapter. I guess I can do a bit better.

-----------

The Way that can be spoken of, is not the constant Way;

The Way that can be named is not the constant name.

The nameless was the beginning of Heaven and Earth;

The named was the mother of the myriad creatures.

Hence, always rid yourself of desires to observe it's secrets;

but always allow yourself to have desires in order to observe it's manifestations.

These two are the same, yet diverge in name as they issue forth.

Being the same, they are called mysteries,

Mystery upon Mystery--

The gateway of the manifold secrets.

------------

Now, here we see recognized two aspects of reality; two 'Mysteries'. We may consider one yin, the other yang. The 'Yin' mystery is the subtle reality; the basis of Golden Flower meditation. It is the 'formless form'. It is from this aspect of reality that we cultivate the 'primal essence'. It is the Great Mother.

The 'Yang' mystery is the manifest world of form-- that which we are naturally 'born into' and through which we 'live our lives'. It is the mother of the 'myriad creatures'-- it is the basis for the 'named'.

Hence, 'Mystery upon Mystery'. These two 'mysteries' combined-- I call 'Tao'. (however, the 'yin' aspect of reality, because it is that which we tap into to realize our enlightenment, is often confused itself for Tao. It is also too frequently given spiritual emphasis, (literally, as being somehow more important than manifest reality,) because it is the source of our enlightenment.

I can say a small bit more, but I am saving that for my book.

Chapter Two of the Tao Te Ching is simply reporting wisdom based on observation of the binary, yin and yang.

'Something and Nothing produce eachother' -- we are reminded of the original, 'yin' and 'yang' 'mysteries' of the first chapter.

Chapter 4 is a goody:

----

The Way is empty, yet use will not drain it.

Deep, it is like the ancestor of the myriad creatures.

Blunt the sharpness,

Untangle the knots,

soften the glare,

let your wheels move only along old ruts.

Darkly visible, it only seems as if it were there.

I know not whose son it is;

it images the forefather of God.

------

This is the first chapter really being reiterated by the meditative practice of the SotGF. The 'Way' that is empty, here, is referring to the 'yin' mystery. Blunting, softening, untangling: like, 'ridding oneself of desires' in the first chapter, are methods of realizing the 'Yin' mystery. 'Use will not drain it'-- it is the source of life, yet 'empty'. Cultivating the 'primal essence', one is literally cultivating, directly from its source, life.

'Darkly visible, it only seems as if it were there' -- it is the formless form. The non-manifest.

I think that's an interesting idea. And particularly how the yang mystery would unfold. You may need to go knee deep into the Taoist Canon for that one :D

Edited by Tao99

Hey, thank man. Unfortunately, you would think that the 'yang mystery' of the manifest world would be easy enough to understand. I guess we need to learn to start 'seeing' it from the point-of-view of the 'yin mystery'. =enlightenment, right?

anyways

Chapter 5 has one of my favorite quotes:

'Heaven and Earth are ruthless, and treat the myriad creatures as straw-dogs; the sage is ruthless, and treats the people as straw-dogs.'

People don't hear this enough. They are too far-gone lost in their lubby-dubby bullshit delusions about what it is supposed to mean to be enlightened. (dumbshit buddhists.)

Anyways, chapter 5 goes on to something more important than that:

'Is not the space between heaven and earth like a bellows?

It is empty without being exhausted:

the more it works, the more comes out.

Much speech leads invariably to silence;

better to hold fast to the void.'

Again, referring directly to the method of cultivating life directly from it's source; of 'turning the light around'; of 'cultivating the primal essence'. By sitting in mental stillness, ridding oneself of desires, of indulging in the formless form, the non-manifest, we recognize directly the 'Yin' mystery.

'Much speech...' seems to refer to 'life' lived in the 'Yang' mystery, (the manifest; the realm of death / the dying.) By holding fast to the void, one is literally holding fast directly to the very source of life.

Man is special that he can do this by meditation-- he becomes a medium between the 'yin' and 'yang' mysteries. By recognizing and dwelling in the 'formless form', by cultivating life direct-- one might say that he is being reborn, bit by bit, as he practices.

Chapter 6, again, a goody.

-----

The spirit of the Valley never dies.

This is called the mysterious female.

The gateway of the mysterious female

is called the root of heaven and earth.

Dimly visible, it seems as if it were there,

yet use will never drain it.

-------

This should be making sense to you now, of your own accord, after my prior comments. The 'Gateway of the mysterious female' seems to refer to the 'mysterious gate' in meditative practice-- it is that which we 'open' to recognize the formless form, to cultivate life direct. It is interesting that it is called 'the root' of heaven and earth-- what does that mean? I think that it is Man, in particularly in this meditative practice. Man, is, afterall, the medium between heaven and earth-- what else could serve as a gate between heaven and earth, than that which is naturally the medium already?

Ahh, chapter 7. I have this tattooed in mandarin, down the length of my back.

-----

Heaven and Earth are enduring. The reason why heaven and earth are enduring, is that they do not give themselves life. Hence, they are able to be long-lived.

Therefore, the sage puts his person last, and it comes first.

Treats it as extraneous to himself and it is preserved.

Is it not because he is without thought of self that he is able to accomplish his private ends?

-----

By carrying on in your Golden Flower meditation, as a living meditation, throughout the day, one is cultivating within himself life. I have found, personally, that 'the light' is first 'crystallized' into what I called a 'pearl' (in my heart.) it is subtle bliss.

However, as I carry on my Golden Flower practices, I find that the 'pearl' has now become a 'puddle'. ;) the 'puddle', I expect, has potential to become a 'pond'-- the 'pond' a 'sea'-- the 'sea' an 'ocean'. That is, potentially an 'ocean' of the 'crystallized light', or the 'primal essence', or 'life-direct'. It is only possible to cultivate the 'primal essence' to such a degree, if one indulges in it and carries it with him throughout the day. In this way, the sage treats his (bodily) person last, and yet finds, it comes first!

He treats it as extraneous to himself, and finds that it is preserved!

The sage does not give himself life-- that is, he does not dwell incessantly in the manifest, 'yang mystery' (of the dying,) but rather is constantly in a state of 'rebirth', cultivating life direct and indulging in his ever-growing 'spirit', or 'primal essence'. Therefore-- perhaps immortality is possible...? (who knows, though-- would you ever get to 'die', cultivating at this level? that is, would you ever get to 'live your 'life' in the manifest world? Isn't 'life' only defined by 'death'? -and therefore non-sense that one should ever choose to practice for immortality? -remember the first chapter, 'Always allow yourself to have desires, to observe it's manifestations.'

--I mean, what good is immortality if I don't get any blow-jobs? -am I right? -am I right?

oh ! tao 99, you were referring to the I CHing !! of course !!! good one...

Chapter 10:

---

When carrying on your head your perpelexed bodily soul,

can you embrace the One, and not let go?

In concentrating your breath, can you become as supple as a babe?

Can you polish the mysterious mirror,

and leave no blemish?

Can you love the people and govern the state,

Without resorting to action?

When the gates of heaven open and shut,

are you capable of keeping to the role of the female?

When your discernment penetrates the four quarters,

are you capable of not knowing anything?

It gives them life, and rears them.

It gives them life, yet claims no possession.

It benefits them, yet exacts no gratitude.

It is the steward yet exercises no authority.

Such is called the mysterious virtue.

----

Here we are introduced to the 'perplexed bodily soul', that is the soul correlating with the 'yang mystery' of the manifest reality. There is also the 'hun', or the soul correlating with the 'yin mystery'.

uh... err....mmmmuhhhhh....

"When the gates of heaven open and shut, can you keep to the role of the female?" -is clearly referring to keeping to your Golden Flower meditation throughout the day. Of course the gates will open and shut, as you live your life-- but more often than not, if you are a successful practitioner, you will find yourself keeping to the role of the female in this respect.

Well I don't know if you are looking for critiques of your theory or not, but if you are:

Hey, thank man. Unfortunately, you would think that the 'yang mystery' of the manifest world would be easy enough to understand. I guess we need to learn to start 'seeing' it from the point-of-view of the 'yin mystery'. =enlightenment, right?

sure we can agree that the yin mystery leads ultimately to enlightenment because 'who' else is there and where else does it all truly take place. And you can call it cultivating the Primal Essence and as involving turning the light around and I can agree to all that.

anyways

Chapter 5 has one of my favorite quotes:

'Heaven and Earth are ruthless, and treat the myriad creatures as straw-dogs; the sage is ruthless, and treats the people as straw-dogs.'

People don't hear this enough. They are too far-gone lost in their lubby-dubby bullshit delusions about what it is supposed to mean to be enlightened. (dumbshit buddhists.)

Note it talks about the sage who is the Taoist Buddha, who has the teh (virtue) of the Tao and so treats all as straw-dogs or MEANS for his yang-desired ultimate positive outcome of tranquility, awareness, well-being, health, happiness, contentment, and long life.

Anyways, chapter 5 goes on to something more important than that:

'Is not the space between heaven and earth like a bellows?

It is empty without being exhausted:

the more it works, the more comes out.

Much speech leads invariably to silence;

better to hold fast to the void.'

Again, referring directly to the method of cultivating life directly from it's source; of 'turning the light around'; of 'cultivating the primal essence'. By sitting in mental stillness, ridding oneself of desires, of indulging in the formless form, the non-manifest, we recognize directly the 'Yin' mystery.

We even experience directly the Yin mystery without effort, like the bottom of a bucket just falling out. Zen has much to offer involving the yin mystery.

'Much speech...' seems to refer to 'life' lived in the 'Yang' mystery, (the manifest; the realm of death / the dying.) By holding fast to the void, one is literally holding fast directly to the very source of life.

So yang mystery is cultivating life or life-energy wherein a simplified, efficient method is best (moderate speech/action to get the the point.)

Man is special that he can do this by meditation-- he becomes a medium between the 'yin' and 'yang' mysteries. By recognizing and dwelling in the 'formless form', by cultivating life direct-- one might say that he is being reborn, bit by bit, as he practices.

Chapter 6, again, a goody.

-----

The spirit of the Valley never dies.

This is called the mysterious female.

The gateway of the mysterious female

is called the root of heaven and earth.

Dimly visible, it seems as if it were there,

yet use will never drain it.

-------

This should be making sense to you now, of your own accord, after my prior comments. The 'Gateway of the mysterious female' seems to refer to the 'mysterious gate' in meditative practice-- it is that which we 'open' to recognize the formless form, to cultivate life direct. It is interesting that it is called 'the root' of heaven and earth-- what does that mean? I think that it is Man, in particularly in this meditative practice. Man, is, afterall, the medium between heaven and earth-- what else could serve as a gate between heaven and earth, than that which is naturally the medium already?

I agree with your conclusion, and would add that the mysterious pass can't be seen until primal essence has been cultivated. I'd say the root refers to the gate location root 'bridge" from whence they are accessed.

Edited by Tao99

Hi Findley,

Very nice so far. I don't have, to this point, any problem whith what you have posted except that I dan't take kindly to the way you portray the "Yang" state (the Manifest) as the 'state of dying'.

Afterall, it is only because of our presence in the Manifest that we are able to experience the Mystery (the "Yin" state).

It has always been in my mind that the space between Heaven and Earth (Tao and the Manifest) is Mystery, or as you are portraying it, "Yin". This is because, in my mind, Mystery is the source of all Manifest and it is the place of return from the Manifest. (Mystery equals infinate potential.)

Very nice work though. Please continue.

Be well!