Sign in to follow this  
Lozen

dave ramsey...

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I hate it!!! BWAH!!!!!!

I just e-mailed the guy who does those Getting Right With Money workshops.

Why not, just go to the Heart of things Lozen...

Study Economics!

8738[/snapback]

The Wall Street Journal Guide to Understanding Money and Investing, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=books&n=507846

The Wall Street Journal Guide to Understanding Personal Finance, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=books&n=507846

They are short easy reads with lots of pictures that explains the basics. Hopefully this will get you past your boredom. Each book is less than $11 and you could probably even find them at your library.

It is a lot easier to play the game when you know the rules.

Avoid the get-rich-quick stuff. It is mostly crap.

All the psychological/spiritual stuff on money that I have read has similar messages such as be thankful for what you have, etc. Much of it has some value, but without knowing the rules for how money behaves it won't get you far.

Life is much more fun when you aren't living hand to mouth. Or to quote Oscar Wilde, "I've been rich and I've been poor. Rich is better." I can tell you from personal experience that Oscar was right.

Be Genki and good luck,

Tenguzake

Thank you! I ordered these from my library. I have a bunch of books at home, let's see... Money Drunk Money Sober is one, How to Get Out of Debt, Stay Out of Debt and Live Prosperously, the Tom Elpel field guide to money that my exboyfriend (one of the many trackers I've dated before I learned not to ;) ...actually he's a Wilderness Awareness School guy) got me two years ago, what else... I read Rich Dad, Poor Dad once. The thing about these books is that I feel like if you don't have a high income compared to expenses, there still ain't much you can do...

I read Rich Dad, Poor Dad once. The thing about these books is that I feel like if you don't have a high income compared to expenses, there still ain't much you can do...

8772[/snapback]

I agree with some of Kiyosaki's broad themes such as that it is better to be an entrepreneur than an employee, but his details on how to get there are often lacking or wrong. I've read some assertions on the net that his books are more fiction than not. His assertion that people without educations are more successful than those with them is patently false in my experiece. I acknowledge that there are exceptions to this rule, but they are just that - exceptions not the norm.

A good book on entrepreneurship is Michael Gerber's E-myth Revisited. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...&s=books&n=2741

An oldie but a goodie on getting out of debt (not so much good for investing) Cured me forever.

Your Money Or Your Life, by Joe Dominguez and Vicki (uhhh. forget her last name)

I've flipped through that E-myth Revisited book Tenguzake. Looked good. I am trying to get my finances in order more lately. Get out of debt, etc. I'm reading Get A Financial Life and Multiple Income Streams. I like both of them so far.

8807[/snapback]

I read Allen's Multiple Income Streams a few years ago. His idea of diversifying your income stream is a good one. Beware the hype though.

The section of writing covered calls isn't too bad. That is the only type of option trading that a beginner should get into in my opinion.

I love real estate as an investment. I own one rental property and would like to get more, but the recent rapid price appreciation has me put off a bit. I haven't tried tax leins.

I hate MLM. It seems to me that whatever product's price is over inflated to pay for all the layers of people involved in the pyramid. I'm not sure what annoys me more, MLM or Jehova's Witnesses at my door...

As for information publishing, the biggest names in direct marketing are Dan Kennedy and Jay Abraham. I think Matt Furey has studied with Kennedy.

As to debt, eliminating consumer debt, particularly your credit card debt is one of the best things you can do for yourself. Real estate debt is good debt. Debt for a car is acceptable provided you're not financing a BMW on a Chevy income. Student loan debt is good debt provided that it is helping you to earn more than you do now. In the long run you usually make more from taking on student loan debt than you would otherwise. (Grad school was a good move for me.)

The Seven Stages of Money Maturity, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...KX0DER&st=books, is on my reading list. It is written by a Buddhist CFP. The basic premise is that one should plan their life first and then figure out how to finance that life. If anyone is inspired to read it, let me know how it is. It will be a while before I get to it.

Be Genki,

Tenguzake

who turns other people's debt into bonds.

I was looking at the website for the woman who wrote Debt Free Living and it just depressed me. what do you guys think? I figure I could maybe save $50 or around there a month by obsessively cutting coupons, not taking hot baths and not going hiking ever (more if I lose the $25 DSL line and never eat organic or go to a cafe) but I'm not sure it's worth it...

Sign in to follow this