Sign in to follow this  
Stigweard

Taoism a proven remedy for anxiety

"Harvard University

Chinese Taoist cognitive psychotherapy (CTCP) combines elements of cognitive therapy and Taoist philosophy. Empirical evidence of its efficacy and mechanisms of action is lacking. This study compared the efficacy of CTCP, benzodiazepines (BDZ), and combined treatment in Chinese patients with generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). In total, 143 patients with GAD were randomly assigned to one of three treatment groups: CTCP only, BDZ only, or combined CTCP and BDZ treatment. Patients were evaluated at intake, and re-examined one and six months after treatment. The results indicated that BDZ treatment rapidly reduced symptoms of GAD at one month, but its effect was lost at six months. CTCP reduced symptoms more slowly and its effect was significant after six months of treatment. Combined treatment led to acute, as well as enduring, symptom reduction. Unlike BDZ treatment, CTCP reduced type A behavior, improved coping style, and decreased neuroticism. It is concluded that CTCP with or without BDZ treatment is a more effective, although slower, method for the treatment of GAD than BDZ for GAD patients in urban China".

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. It is good to know that there are studies like this on-going.

Be well!

I have read countless studies similar to this one, that show various psychological therapies and treatments to be very effective. The question is: after these studies are done why are the therapies that were shown to be effective not more widely practiced

mm hmm. I think you're not wrong. -This isn't really related, but also I can't beleive the arrogance of clinical psychiatrists. I hope one day we wont have any. I'm not being negative. I'm being hopeful... see back there, second line down I said it - 'hope'. NEVER BE PROUD OF IGNORANCE. NEVER BE ASHAMED OF KNOWLEDGE.

Sign in to follow this