Sign in to follow this  
alfa

My latest experiments with meditation

Hi,

After taking your advice on the other threads (reg. meditation and emptiness), I started meditating simply by letting go of thoughts. I am again faced with a similar problem, though. How long am I going to do this -- I mean this 'letting go' of thoughts? Because one can only do it for a short while, it becomes boring later on.

Second, what's the result that one hopes to obtain? I know people will say we shouldn't expect anything to happen, but without a result in view, it's so hard to keep the motivation alive.

So the point of this post is: can I have an idea where this 'let go' meditation will lead, so that it could keep me motivated?

Hi,

After taking your advice on the other threads (reg. meditation and emptiness), I started meditating simply by letting go of thoughts. I am again faced with a similar problem, though. How long am I going to do this -- I mean this 'letting go' of thoughts? Because one can only do it for a short while, it becomes boring later on.

Second, what's the result that one hopes to obtain? I know people will say we shouldn't expect anything to happen, but without a result in view, it's so hard to keep the motivation alive.

So the point of this post is: can I have an idea where this 'let go' meditation will lead, so that it could keep me motivated?

the result is that the dualistic mind turns off and is seen to be illusory. (not real, illusion)

dualistic means I am here looking at objects over there, the separation between subject and object.

The nature of multiplicity is nondual

and things in themselves are pure and simple;

being here and now is thought-free

and it shines out in all forms, always all good;

it is already perfect, so the striving sickness is avoided

and spontaneity is constantly present.

you're still very attached to thoughts. don't forget feelings are thoughts as well. boredom is the dualistic mind's need for entertainment, for movement. the mind thrives on movement. you must let go of that attachment and embrace non-movement. when there are no-thoughts, there is still presence isn't there? this presence isn't a self or "me" so don't attach to it, just relax into that presence and don't latch onto any thoughts or feelings that come up.

here's a question for you, if you need others to tell you what the goal is.. why are you meditating in the first place? not trying to insult you or anything, but just be honest here..... why are you doing this? if you don't understand why you're meditating, then you have no real motivation and its very easy to get bored.

the false self yearns for concepts to latch onto. expectations, fantasies.. just more extensions of thoughts based on an illusory self that doesn't truly exist. following the thought train of 'where will this lead?" only feeds the fire of illusion and suffering. if you want to keep feeding that fire then keeping following those thoughts and making posts like this, if you want to finally put the fire out then extinguish them as soon as they come up, see the thoughts for what they are: empty. watch the thoughts vanish into the void they rose out of, and understand the impermanent nature of thoughts/feelings.

i'm not completely stressing non-conceptuality here. i think philosophy is very important, as long as the philosophy gives you a good solid base for interpreting your experiences and doesn't lead you to have assumptions and expectations. that's why I personally like Buddhist philosophy.

Edited by mikaelz

Hi Alfa,

It is my understanding that meditation is for the purpose of clearing one's mind so that they can become aware of reality as it truely is, without preconceptions or biases.

True, we shouldn't 'expect' anything because when we do we are placing limits on our cleansing of our mind.

I often meditate while walking - I become a part of everything else and loose my self-identity.

There are soooo many ways to meditate. Use whatever technique that works for you. And never force anything - if you force it it is not natural.

It is my experience that the only result I can define is a clearness of mind which leads to greater awareness.

Best Wishes!

Be well!

Start out with a koan. You already sort of have one right there. What is the result one is hoping to obtain through meditation?

For some students, the Shikantaza meditation (letting things go) is a good place to start, but I personally don't think this is a good idea. It's like learning to run with a big chain on your ankle.

In fact, you need a koan that will absolutely break down every conventional thought you've held.

Mu! (Emptiness!) or Who am I? or What is this? are all good places to start. The inquiry HAS TO BE INTENSE. HAS TO BE PERSONAL! Isn't it the utmost important matter to investigate into the nature of your existence? Or will you just be swept up by the toils and torments of society until you just...die... :( .

You must give everything to the question. Why? Because everything is unimportant compared to it.

Also, I strongly suggest learning basic Qi Gong energy practices to balance yourself out. And it's really fun if done right.

Once you've partially grasped the un-graspable nature of things, then go into Shikantaza meditation. 24/7! :D .

Edited by Lucky7Strikes

Sign in to follow this