Sign in to follow this  
Spirit Ape

The Dragon - Tiger Classic

I just bought this book second hand, anyone know how close it is to the original text as well anyone know about it?

Ape

I don't know but sounds like a good book I should invest time to reading.

Although I do have many other books I should finish reading including my college books as homework.

I will have to figure out some time for both

Peace,

wt

I don't know about this book in particular, but I have read many of Eva Wong's other translations. She tends to translate quite loosely in order to express the what she feels is the original intent of the author given her personal experience with Taoist cultivation and her lineage. Therefore, her work is always very clear and understandable (given the subject), but her work is not very useful if you are looking for something in an academic setting or if you want a precise, literal translation.

I tend to like her interpretations a lot when she is clarifying alchemical language or other esoteric matters, but not at all when she is putting a spin on Taoist political or philosophical writings (such as with her translation of Lieh Tsu).

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it I did read some of this book when I was still an undergrad, but it largely went over my head at the time. Back then Taoism was still just Lao Tsu and Chuang Tsu for me, and I was not yet doing any real practice. But if my Taoist Studies professor thought enough of the book to order it for the school library, it must have some merit.

Thanks everyone, Ill give it a read and post up anything that comes to mind, im always looking for things that relate to my own arts and practices.

Ape

Sign in to follow this