Owledge

Chinese soup spoon form

Does somebody here know why the chinese soup spoons (like you see at restaurants) have this special shape? I tried using them in different ways, but I can't find an advantage over a normal spoon and find them hard to handle. Either it drips down my chin or I have to leave some of the soup in the spoon.

Does somebody here know why the chinese soup spoons (like you see at restaurants) have this special shape? I tried using them in different ways, but I can't find an advantage over a normal spoon and find them hard to handle. Either it drips down my chin or I have to leave some of the soup in the spoon.

Generally, when among friends and family anyway (esp when I go visit relatives in Hong Kong), we only use the spoon for scooping up meat, vegetables, etc. and maybe tasting the soup initially. To drink the soup we usually lift the bowl and drink directly. Of course, don't forget to slurp ^^

Actually I don't even bother with the spoon, I just lift and slurp for the soup and use chopsticks for food pickup/cleanup.

In formal situations though I'd probably just use the spoon and drink very carefully :P