longrhythm

From active visualization to passive observation

A wonderful shift just occurred for me in my practice. Being part of this group is such a privilege, having so many different ideas floating around in my head has led me to take so many different approaches, helped me find so many new things that work, and writing my thoughts down for others to see has reinforced my efforts strongly.

Near the beginning of my practice I was struggling to see inside myself. My cavity was pitch black, totally foreign. Many of the emotions I was attempting to work with were foreign to my concious mind, and so I was grabbing in the dark. Visualizing form then, at that early stage, was an act of seeking.

At some point as I began to light things up a bit, to become more sensitive, I was able to identify the presence of my grandparents in my kidneys and liver. This was a big acheivement. I couldn't identify any of my other yin organs in a similar manner, so shortly after I stopped addressing my organs as presences. I shifted into visualizing as an act of referencing.

For a while my practice stagnated, I was going through motions, picturing things and forcing feeling from my mind regardless of what it was I was actually working with in my body.

Inspired by an article recently posted here, I sat down with only the intention of allowing the presences of each of my organs to communicate with one another. I changed the role of my mind in the process from director to facilitator. What a shift! Suddenly practicing has moved back to a process of exploration, of subtler observation.

I think my visualization was useful up to a point, but once the lights started to come on, it had become masturbatory. Referencing only the parts that were easy to picture, I was working only with the fully operational parts, ignoring any weakness. As I understand my Taoist practices are geared towards acheiving health and then healthy growth and development, which means I must constantly seek out the dark corners to illuminate and incorporate them.

Just wanted to share, I've remembered the difference between visualizing and observing. I'm going back to observing.

Blessings,

Brian

Visualizing form then, at that early stage, was an act of seeking.

At some point as I began to light things up a bit, to become more sensitive, ...

I think my visualization was useful up to a point, but once the lights started to come on, ...

All well said, and practical.

:)

I think my visualization was useful up to a point, but once the lights started to come on, it had become masturbatory.

I totally agree! After actually seeing the things people visualize, like auras, chakras, masters, etc, to keep vizualizing them becomes delutional. To me, now, it is more important to remove and relax all faculties of my system that keeps me away from observing reality. Instead of visualizing more limited beliefsystems of how things are supposed to be like, I want to end all visualization and rather allow my interaction with as much of reality as possible.

But I agree with you that it can be useful up to a certain point. Unless we get stuck with believing our visualizations are reality.

Thank you for sharing this :)

Very nice post Brian.

One (rhetorical) question I have is: is there a difference between active visualization and passive observation?

I don't mean to hijack your thread or diminish your experience - you really captured the experience beautifully in words that I imagine many of us have had when beginning a variety of experiential practices, especially neigong and meditation.

On the other hand, the whole issue of what is active (intentional) versus what is passive is a fascinating one for me.

On the other hand, the whole issue of what is active (intentional) versus what is passive is a fascinating one for me.

And for me as well, xuesheng....

I see that perhaps both visualizing, and observing, are one....both simply "portals / doorways / gateways" into pure awareness....not for staying in, but for passing through.

Which reminds me now of the Heart Sutra....

Gate gate - Gone gone

Paragate - Gone beyond

Parasamgate - Gone completely beyond

Bodhi Svaha - Praise to awakening

Excellent topic, Brian, thanks for sharing your shift....

Peace,

Carol

It seems to me that when I visualize, I'm "doing" something. When I'm observing, I'm doing less. My understanding is that the whole point of sitting is to do no thing and just be. I'm guilty (?) of slipping from observation to visualization; "that felt good/interesting let's see if we can do it again."

Great thread.