everseeking

Letting go of fear, grasping what is natural.

Hello, hello.

I am new here to the Tao Bums, though I've been on this earth for a little over 27 years.

Well, life has shown me that so much of what we take for granted can be a veil of crap.

It seems strange to me that I have spontaneously arrived at this place where I am in my mind, seeing things so much clearer than I used to. Whether is is my age, or divine providence I'm not sure, but I do know that I'm not going to live forever, so I want to make the best of my time here in the way that most feels natural to me. Not necessarily the most comfortable way.

I'm not sure what to say--money is just an obstacle to me, not something I idolize.

So I tend to follow path's that seem nonsensical to most-if not all-of my family. For instance, I am VERY dedicated to Iron Palm. I have learned its basics from more than one teacher. One of them has very generously guided me through it, as well as answered my many questions about Taoism. So, I am increasingly more comfortable taking that leap, and immersing myself.

Life is so amazing. And so short. I would just like to say hello to everyone who might read this, and thank you all for being here in spirit to keep this place alive, so that newbies like me can make that leap, and not drown.

My name is Nate.

I have been searching through various methods of Iron Skills--I like to think that is is my method of pursuing the Tao. It is at least, for me, a method of cultivating my self. So, I have searched and searched, and by setting my mind on the essence of these martial arts conditioning methods, I have concluded that what I need now is not new instruction (though I could still benefit from it, and do enjoy and value it) but simply to strike out and experiment, and find what works best for me.

What I do NOT have as much experience with is Meditation. I have learned standing meditation from a friend who is very proficient at it. Actually, He is a master, though I doubt he would call himself such.

Well, here is where I am at--

I wish to experience a more dedicated cultivation of energy.

I have the 'Essence of Internal Martial Arts' vol. 1 & 2 by Jerry Alan Johnson.

Since I dont have a teacher in person for this sort of thing, I am asking for any guidelines I need to know.

I would like to work on opening the microcosmic orbit, then Marrow washing/draining/bone squeezing as outlined in the books. I feel that I can do so safely. Plus, I can always call my friend and ask questions.

Im not the type to do this sort of thing recklessly or forcefully. And like I said, I feel good about it.

I want to start part of this by doing a colon cleanse which will consist of a five day liquids only diet.

Is it safe to do standing meditation, microcosmic orbit, or quiet sitting while fasting?

Thank you all for reading, whoever you are.

Nate-

Welcome Nate! You'll get some good replies here, lots of these guys have the experience with what you want to try as far as fasting and meditation. Just - good luck with your path!

I just read through some posts about retention, and I must say, that I certainly am not to the point where I can do this. I can once in a while, but not regularly. Any advice?

As of now, my internal practice consists of a few standing postures.

I'm interested in any advice that anyone can offer on where to find information about Taoist practices in general.

I have a few books that I should be getting shortly, such as Taoist master Chuang By Maichael Saso, and Essential Taoism by Thomas Cleary.

But I'm interested in following the I-Chuan postures and Bone Marrow Washing/Draining/Bone squeezing stuff I mentioned earlier, and --I feel/think that Spending the time on the microcosmic orbit and 100 days of no ejaculation will probably help that out.

However, I'm also interested in any complete system of meditation/chi gung etc. that will help me 'retain' and thus reach my goals. I am not really sure where the best place to start is, so any books that anyone can recommend would be great.

I would like to have a teacher that I could regularly learn from in person for this, but I dont have the money right now, and have another of class before I will be able to afford to attend seminars, etc.

So, a push in the right direction would be very helpful to me!!

Thanks everyone.

Have a nice evening.

I just found this website--it was linked in a thread here on the site. I think I will start with this stuff.

Any book reccomendations and/or advice are still appreciated.

Thanks again!!

Nate--

I just found this website--it was linked in a thread here on the site. I think I will start with this stuff.

Any book reccomendations and/or advice are still appreciated.

Thanks again!!

Nate--

heres that link-

http://www.alchemicaltaoism.com/

Did some more searching..

Does anyone have anything to say (good or bad) about Mantak Chia's information?

Is his microcosmic orbit info/method pretty safe?

Thanks again--

Nate

Welcome Nate,

Check out a thread in the main forum from June 22nd entitled "Burning Palm System" by Spirit Ape. It sounds like it may be relevant to your interests.

Regarding the Mantak Chia system, I think most of the complaints about his approach involve the sexual methods. I haven't heard too many negative comments about the MCO. It would probably make sense to learn the Inner Smile first. The KAP system that you'll read about on here makes good use of both of these practices.

Edited by Dainin

So, Im new here, and curious.

If I am unable to attend an in person session, what will I need to do to go through KAP1?

How much cost am I looking at?

Are repeated online sessions needed, or just one time, then follow the book and CD?

How does doing KAP1 affect being able to open the microcosmic orbit, and do other meditations/qigong (of any sort)-will it make them easier? Harder? Pointless?

There are some martial qi gongs I do, and wish to improve on.

I would like to know these things, then I might want to start planning for it all.

Thanks--

Nate-