11:33

If I let-go of thought and enter emptiness, if I let go of ego, then what will assure that I don't rot and loose my home and die?

If I let-go of thought and enter emptiness, if I let go of ego, then what will assure that I don't rot and loose my home and die?

Is this where these ancient teachings meet the concept of God? Is God or the Tao what ensures my body doesn't go without food or shelter? Because if I let go of the *I*, it does beg the question "well who else is gonna take care of 11:33's body, his home, his loved ones, etc, etc"

Who is the "I"? What is the "ego"? These questions should be investigated before worrying about what would happen when the ego is dropped. How do you drop something that you don't even know exists for certain? There is a reason why Zen students struggle with such koans for months/years. It can even become a obstacle if you accept someone's conceptualized answers to these questions, but it seems like you have an inquiring mind anyway :) .

Haha, I posted the above before reading your last post. Good luck!

Edited by Lucky7Strikes

Who is the "I"? What is the "ego"? These questions should be investigated before worrying about what would happen when the ego is dropped. How do you drop something that you don't even know exists for certain? There is a reason why Zen students struggle with such koans for months/years. It can even become a obstacle if you accept someone's conceptualized answers to these questions, but it seems like you have an inquiring mind anyway :) .

Haha, I posted the above before reading your last post. Good luck!

Thanks Lucky7Strikes,

From what I understand from experience and theory both is that the ego is the swirling mass of structures/filters through which I experience reality, largely they are composed of thoughts. We begin to think this swirling mass of structures/filters IS us, and let it control the real us, which is delusion. In emptiness meditation we experience reality without these filters.

It's cool, I have my own path, as do we each individually, so experiencing that path is unique. I like to ask questions to get more discussion going.

All the Best

Letting go of ego (whatever that might mean exactly) doesn't mean becomind stupid. Of course if you already are stupid, then you probably will rot.

It seems crazy, just insane to want enlightenemnet when you think of the probably concequences doesn't it?

At least spelling isn't on the ciriteria list. Hey, 11:33. Who takes care of things after you get hit by a bus? If you really want this, go for it. If not - stay away from it.

When ego is the master and not the servant, the ego will tell you that all sorts of bad things can happen if you try to get by without it. It is a defense mechanism. The ego works best when it takes the servant role, but it has been allowed to run things for too long and it isn't easy to set the situation right again. You don't have to get rid of the ego; you just have to recognize that you are the one in control and you are not your ego.

If you already have an answer, then why ask the question?

well if you know you have the answer, don't ask the i ching for a second opinion. it'll blow you away.

If you already have an answer, then why ask the question?

To get a second, third, fourth opinion etc. :)

If it helps any, then lots of less 'mystical' folks (Check out the Daniel Gilberts and brain plasticity guys - lots of those.) are also riding in the direction of there being 'no-one' home ;-)

At least "no-one" in the simplistic way we tend to create for ourselves as we develop. There is not a 'thing' somewhere in your brain (or you foot, or your behind (although I sometimes wonder ;-))) that is doing any of the doing but the doing is still happening. This doesn't mean anyone disappears, just that perspective shifts. Scott taught me that one;-) And I am very grateful to him for it.

I'm sort of happy in -between knowing I don't and I do exist all at the same time. It hasn't improved my Kung Fu (because I never practiced;-)) but it gives a whole new perspective on cultivation and practices, learning, goals, all kinds of cool stuff that actually improve your capacity to clean houses and earn a paycheck - but you might end up wanting to do that in a completely different way from the way you are currently doing it!

My 'ego' kicks in from time to time (I can feel it burning in my chest sometimes) as does a whole range of other feelings. It's not like it all suddenly disappeared (at least for me;-))

Anyway, TTB is pretty much the only forum where we can discuss such things because people tend to get weirded out if I go there. And the last thing I really want is to weird people out;-) It's bad for paychecks;-)