Sign in to follow this  

Seems we all like to talk,and rehash the days events,in our heads or with someone.

Usually topics are light and funny and can be repeated several times when particularly interesting.

Nothing odd we all do it,to some degree.

What happens when the stories don't stop,and you subjected to a prolonged barrage of regurgitated 'need to tell'stories from the workplace.

If it is a casual acquaintance,then we can make a real or fabricated excuse and move on.

Not always possible if a more personal significant other/partner.

The brother in law is a lawyer working or defending persons with a disability mostly,sometimes he will take on a criminal case,especially if there is a prospect of actually being paid.

Anyway at times when we meet,he just lets fly,the judge this the client that,the outcome was ?,the point is,you can see he is passionate and excited,the stories are interesting,but there is very little two way exchange,after 15-20 minutes,there is a degree of tension building,as consider what's happening,and the stories continue.

Limited is the insight,as to the effects his style of story telling has on his listeners.It's FULL ON.

After 30-45 minutes listening mostly in silence,just the odd "yep" "yeah" "etc".

The partner sister in law,then unloads about the same thing,not so bombastic,but similar style of ventilation of pent up emotional tensions,and around in circles we go.

"Talk to him about it ?"

"Aw he knows,but he can't help himself,and he just keeps talking,now I give him ten fifteen minutes,then I put up my hand.'Talk to the hand'.

'Talk to the hand'is tool that can work,have used it with few workmates at times.

So anyone care to talk to the hand,share experiences.

Haha i like when people are passionate about their jobs but when we know almost nothing about the people they work with or the job i agree, its hard to stay interested for longer than 30 min.. its so much easier to have a connection when you have met or know one or two of the persons their stories involve. I am pretty attentive with the people i talk to, if i see them looking off in the distance and nodding and saying "ya" or looking confused or something i usually change the subject haha.

• Like 1

There are few things more engaging and attractive than a person speaking about what they are passionate about... except when it's full of vitriol and rage that is...

After the loss of seven friends and both of my parents in the last two years... I have come to relax under the freedom of a potent realization.  After several other close friends have had disintegrating marriages and children touched by molestation, after witnessing the triumphant achievements... something has been driven home in a manner I can not, not acknowledge.

Grief dissipates as we share it.

and Joy/Love increases as we share it.

Be open and present to the affect you are having on others when necessarily expelling grief and despair, but don't isolate and don't 'man up' or 'play the hero'.  This long term isolation breeds all manner of unnecessary and utterly avoidable suffering and likely further harm than what the original bother was. 

When terribly angry, I try to wait a day to address it, or at least a few hours.  Because once a bit of time has passed, I invariably calm more than a bit and the resultant exchange is much more productive to addressing the issue at hand, rather than solely based on ranting out the harsh energies of the moment.

And more and more, I try to express my joy, without hesitation... indeed with exuberance and passion.  I now regularly stop folks on the street and let them know when I love something they are wearing, or their awesome hair colors, or when I witness them doing something beneficial and kind.

Joy increases as we share it. 

Grief receeds when we share it.

• Like 6

Has anyone had a similar experience of having a finger scanner ID system introduced into their workplace?

They have already installed the scanners,and a few worksites within the organisation are already using them.

None of the staff at our worksite are to interested in submitting to this style of timekeeping,as we can work odd hours at times and often start elsewhere away from the scanner,we would be required to supplement the finger scanning records with signed paperwork.

We already provide written signed submission for our pay check.

The proposed new system has no benefits in fact will require more pay check verifications,which is all time consuming.

We dont have a finger scanner yet, but i can kind of see the benefits as in a few of the jobs iv worked there were people clocking in and out for people that werent actually there, robbing the owner. Can see how something like could be gotten away with at a huge company and i dont think they ever got caught while i was there.

I do know what you mean on how some systems at work can be counter productive though, especially if working for a huge company and corporate is telling your branch to do something everyones doing without taking into account the needs of your specefic branch. Unfortunately my voice means little when trying to offer advice on things like that. But if you say most of your co workers dont like the idea i would think itd be a good idea to get together and have a talk with the manager and perhaps he will see it your way, maybe he just hasnt given much thought to it yet

• Like 1

We change cause we seek benefits of a better way of doing things.

Time saved or improved service delivery are the main benefits sought from change.

Change that decreases time efficiencies or offers no benefits at all?

Why change?

Then there is the conspiracy theorists.

Personal biometrics,ie finger scanning,is stored and it's use is not discussed.

Electronic recognition already occurs now that we have converted to full electronic data recording,with personal logon required.

No we don't want to use finger scanning,not sure that we can stop our group from being integrated to the finger clockcarding.

We object but we also recognise job security,resistance may be futile.

• Like 1

Yes i wonder why things are changed un necessarily at work too. Sometimes it is just well every other companies doing it so we are going to do it haha. Yes im afraid i would be leaning more towards the conspiracy side . I am that guy. I would feel a tiny bit violated, like how i feel when flying on airplanes now and they have full body "naked picture" scanners. I hate to fly now.. but oh well.

• Like 1

Aeroplane travel,great,quick,get you there.

Airport security "naked picture scanners",drug sniffers,explosive sniffers,suspect everyone,is the dark side.

Few years ago we went to see off family at the airport,there was a midway check point,two security guards,"Take off your shoes"was the order,"What for?"was the reply,"Cause we want to check your boots","What for.","Cause we think you might have drugs or explosives in your boots"

Well we said our goodbyes and didn't proceed further,"Cause what's in my boots is none of your business.

Hehehe.. yes i agree sometimes its a complete violation. Not to mention when you check your bags they go through the whole thing and doesnt matter if you folded your clothes perfect or had fragile items (like a yixing tea pot!) They can break it and arent held responsible. You give up your rights when you walk into a modern airport and expect at least 1-2 hours of security :/. The past times iv gone traveling i havent flown. I drove it haha 2 days of driving instead of 2 hours flying? Ill take it, the in between was always the funnest part of the journey for me anyways. The problem is theres no choice out over seas or for the other side of the country.

• Like 1

Yes iv found flying can be a shock to my system, security aside. In the morning your in a hot humid climate, hours later you step out into a cold dry climate with a different time zone, different allergens, wildlife plantlife. I enjoy the slow gradual change when driving. Plus you get to visit all the "hidden" places in between the destination you never knew about! Ah im already looking forward to using my vacation time this year. Does your work allow you substantial time to travel?

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this