Sign in to follow this  
Trixter Streetcat

musings on reincarnation

recent talk about reincarnation has made me think lately, and I have found that I have very particular ideas about it, tell me what you think.

I would say that we are all the One Supreme Consciousness, living in different self imposed time, space and mind or perceptive filters (also self-imposed). that is to say, we are all I, except the conscience chose to live in my body, with my life, in my time and place, as it also chose to live (maybe simultaneously) in yours. it also (initially) blinded itself to think that "I" am only "me" and "you" are only "you". the level to which I realize I AM all this consciousness around me is determined by what "I" (my present incarnation) is willing to figure out in the given time.

but you see first of all, i don't think reincarnation (supposing there is such a thing, but we will say that for karma to be worked and in the cyclic nature of things, there might be an evolution of conscience beyond a single physical manifestation) is chronologically linear. chronological time is a useful illusion. but I don't think that if I were to die and reincarnate, I would do so within chronological time, that is to say, i might not be reborn in 2010 or 2011 or even 2012, i would surely be reborn in that time, place and mind which best suits my development, so i might as well be born "right away" into the year 3299, it might even be possible that my next incarnation lived 7000 years ago. it all depends on what i have to learn for next life. some things are more easily learnt 7000 years ago. and since I am perfect and all knowing, of course, that body, time and place did exist 7000 years ago, or "already" exists 2000 years from now, for me to reincarnate in them. it doesn't change that the life beginning in 1987 was my previous incarnation. because time really doesn't exist.

so what we really call reincarnation is the path of conscience from itself back to itself (or from the silence before AUM to the silence after AUM). I also think this path of consciousness from itself back to itself can be done by many roads, which is why we speak of an individual soul. you see, the path from myself to myself, can be a tour of ten-thousand lives of fun and party, or of three lives as a wiseman in the woods. these would be two parallel, possible developments for my conscience (i.e. "two souls' development"), but once I come back home, I know that all those lives and all those roads were all ME. there were just different paths that I took for my own divine enjoyment. here too, time is inexistent. which do you think is longer, ten thousand lives of fun and party, or three as a wiseman meditating in the woods? both are infinitely long but go by in less than a blink of an eye.

so you might say that I, as Supreme Consciousness, have already (i.e. "in the present moment") created the whole of the universe from beginning to end. i only create the illusion of linear time and limited perception to be able to go into every individual when I felt like or needed it. which paradoxically means that your next (or previous) reincarnation might be on earth with you simultaneously, alive and conscious (though it's a long shot). you'd just have to go through with it at some other "moment". in fact, you are, already.

i don't know, maybe this is a musing about time more than about reincarnation. the illusory nature of time and consciousness. i've already created this, already been all this. i am already home, too. but I'm still here, and it's for a reason, and it's probably just that I'm having fun being all that I am. the game basically consists of realizing who I am, what I'm really doing which is playing this game. in a way i already know it, i already always knew it, but i am yet to get rid of time. you get rid of the illusion of time, then you are all of this simultaneously. getting rid of time could be one way of expressing what enlightenment meant to some mesoamerican civilizations. it makes total sense. you get rid of time, you realize who you were, who you will be, who you have always been.

i hope this makes sense to you.

Guest paul walter

Yeah, sounds like me when I'm at my best (worst?). It all makes complete sense but then we can make everything make complete mind sense when our heart is in it...hehe. I suppose we have sci-fi novels as ways of packaging this sort of thinking in order that we don't go insane with infinitely complex possibility!! One virtue in all this 'what if' is that it tends to make me see my own tail after a while and I give it up and have a nice walk or look at trees and the sky which takes the mind to a place where it should be-observing possibility and change/flux NOT trying to stop/comprehend it intellectually. Paul

My first spiritual teacher was giveing a talk some young people at the Library one afternoon and the question came up- Do you believe in reincarntion ? His answer- I don't believe in it I know it! He had echoed my own thoughts. The Tibetians have a saying - treat all beings as if they were your mother, because they were! this hints at the vastness of Samsara and also the uselessness of trying to understand it's complexity and yet we all try. The indian masters give referance to "Monkey mind" in other words useing the mind to understand the mind may not work. The American sage Henry David Thoreau would say " simplicity simplicity", the Yogi would say watch your breath as it comes in as it goe's out. Most masters don't discuss reincarnation but often give hint's such as Jesus when he said " Before Ilijah I was" . I hope that may be of help. Sarnam

Sign in to follow this