froggie

your respected opinions?

http://www.youtube.com/user/videobloger

nice to see. and i know this can be done... but these videos....there are some things in them that are made to mask and question and for you to Want it to be real. but i don't know the makers of these or the persons in them, so i was thinking: maybe someone knows more about these, this and them.

It's kind of strange, because you know it can actually be done,

but the setup of these 'shows' is kind of weird, and actually look a bit set up, literally, like it's meant to make believe rather than to actually show a real performance and a nice way (my opinion?) to practise skills with eachother/others and actually let other people see it too?

hm...

ok let's hear it i guess

http://www.youtube.com/user/videobloger

nice to see. and i know this can be done... but these videos....there are some things in them that are made to mask and question and for you to Want it to be real. but i don't know the makers of these or the persons in them, so i was thinking: maybe someone knows more about these, this and them.

It's kind of strange, because you know it can actually be done,

but the setup of these 'shows' is kind of weird, and actually look a bit set up, literally, like it's meant to make believe rather than to actually show a real performance and a nice way (my opinion?) to practise skills with eachother/others and actually let other people see it too?

hm...

ok let's hear it i guess

Why are you so sure that "you know it can actually be done"?

I've been doing taijiquan and Daoist stuff for about 25 years. I have experienced things that seem to be genuinely miraculous, but nothing like the stuff on these videos (i.e. pushing people around without actually touching them.) When I have seen "masters of qi" putting on demos, what they did ended up looking to me to be a question of prestidigitation like any Western magician. (These included things like breaking bricks, etc.)

It strikes me that the best attitude is to be skeptical until you personally experience something that looks like the "real deal". And, I would add that it is also important to really poke and prod at your personal experience to see if it can be explained in a more prosaic manner than by resorting to some sort of "cosmic" influence. Until then, I think a genuine Daoist would simply say "I don't know"---after all, we are simply frogs in a well.

Why are you so sure that "you know it can actually be done"?

I've been doing taijiquan and Daoist stuff for about 25 years. I have experienced things that seem to be genuinely miraculous, but nothing like the stuff on these videos (i.e. pushing people around without actually touching them.) When I have seen "masters of qi" putting on demos, what they did ended up looking to me to be a question of prestidigitation like any Western magician. (These included things like breaking bricks, etc.)

It strikes me that the best attitude is to be skeptical until you personally experience something that looks like the "real deal". And, I would add that it is also important to really poke and prod at your personal experience to see if it can be explained in a more prosaic manner than by resorting to some sort of "cosmic" influence. Until then, I think a genuine Daoist would simply say "I don't know"---after all, we are simply frogs in a well.

What my learned friend said. :)