Sign in to follow this  
Unota

'Guitar' Divination?

Before I was interrupted by driving practice and giving myself a heart attack, I was thinking about different forms of divination. I am a big fan of random outcomes and spontaneity. I use dice, spirit coins, I like the I Ching, et cetera et cetera. I like using these to dictate my actions sometimes, so long as I have no preference for anything else.

It was last night that I was playing Juice, that it occurred to me to mix the two things together. I was thinking, I have used so many tools to designate what I do for the day for fun. Why not Juice? Surely someone has thought of that before. I couldn't personally find anything after looking, but, I know that the idea can't be unique. So, I would like to know some history maybe, on the use of 'divination' through the use of instruments, if that has been done in the past.

I also would like to know, from the people that know much more than me, if you have any suggestions of how I could apply this. At first I considered through notes, but too many notes repeat too many times throughout the scales on the strings, and would influence the outcome.

So, instead, I thought it would be better to go by numbers. Twelve frets, six strings. The amount of frets may very depending on the guitar, but there are always at least twelve. Twelve frets on a six-stringed guitar. That is, what...if you include open-strumming...I think 78 outcomes?

This is also coincidentally the number of cards in the tarot, however, tarot can also be influenced by the facing of the cards, so...I'm not sure that you could transfer an equivalent into guitar strings, if that is what you want to do.

I also considered the fact that if you are a skilled player, your hands tend to drift towards certain notes that you are known to like. I am a fan of E minor, C major, B7, my hands tend to linger on these to make a sound that I like. I guess you would just have to clear your head to avoid doing that.

But, surely, there is other people who like to play guitar that would enjoy doing this...? Is this a dumb idea?

Anyway, what do you think? Silly or no?

Typically, you would feel for the string first, the 6, before moving down the fret board. So, that 6 could hold a predominant theme, while the 12 can be a more decisive answer...or something like that.

Edited by Unota
  • Like 2

Sign in to follow this