NaturaNaturans

Self improvement/growth

I do not like these terms, as i asscociate it with «alpha bros» preying on insecure teen boys trough YouTube, or fake gurus. However, i have been digging my self into a little bit of hole recently, and there are areas that need some… fixing. 

Do you have any rouitine, methods, practice, authors etc. that you follow and reccomend, and how do you approach these things yourself?

Therapy, hands down. Self-improvement is a very valid goal for therapy.

You will also see progress in whatever meditative path you follow if you combine it with therapy. Though the scopes and goals of the two are of course different.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NaturaNaturans said:

@snowymountains May i ask whats your experience with meditation is, what method you use and so on?

I follow the Theravada and ( Rinzai ) Zen traditions, the bulk of their meditations (combined) more or less is: mediation on breath, four immeasurables, four elements, 32 parts of the body, charnel grounds/nine stages, insight, walking meditation, shikantaza, a handful of energy techniques, koans.

Of course there are other meditations there too but that's a decent summary.

What's most important is daily practice, embodying any realisations you get to and working with a good teacher who can help you progress.

The goal is basically to get to a point where every activity essentially is a meditation and all meditation exercises were a preparation for that, eg eating in meditation, walking in open awareness etc.

So in that sense whatever path you choose doesn't matter much, though of course you'll keep formal meditation too and it always makes sense to work with a path that you like.

So, many roads lead to Rome, as a starring point I would recommend as a first step to attend an 8-week MBCT or MBSR course by some instructor who graduated from one of the main uni departments that teach it. So basically start from western mindfulness.

Starting from there, if you continue practice, learning and trying stuff, you'll eventually find the path that's right for you and the teacher that is right for you.

Another advice is to avoid any path, teacher or method whose emphasis is powers akin to Marvel's X-Men.

Edited by snowymountains
  • Like 1