Sign in to follow this  
S:C

Searching for a text

I suppose it might be the Mūlamadhyamakakārikā but I am not sure. It is about his arguments against the metaphysics of his time why reality cannot be grasped by ideas and concepts.

If that is correct, which of the fifteen translations would be most helpful for an understanding? Neither Sanskrit nor English is my first language, and I look for a version that has the arguments rather clear, not one that draws parallels to greek thinking or offers other interpretational specialties. 
Thanks!

Edited by schroedingerscat

There are four texts on reasoning that are unanimously attributed to Nagarjuna.  All of them in some sense are about how reality can't be grasped by ideas and concepts, but the foundation for the other three is the MMK. 

The translation of MMK that strictly tries to let Nagarjuna and his Indian Commentators speak for themself is that of Siderits and Katsura.  Another title to check out is "Nagarjuna's Madhyamaka - A Philosophical Introduction" by Westerhoff.  He covers material from all four above mentioned works, with a specific intent to not add in any interpretation of Nagarjuna in terms of other thinkers (Kant, Wittgenstein, Derrida, etc).

Happy study _/\_

Edited by Creation
  • Thanks 1

The best compiled version of Nagarjuna's work with commentary I have encountered is "Meditation on Emptiness" translated by Jeffrey Hopkins. It's a classic. How good is it? It's on the table next to me.

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this