Sign in to follow this  
taoguy

Awakening To Reality

http://www.awakeningtoreality.com/2007/03/thusnesss-six-stages-of-experience.html

http://www.awakeningtoreality.com/2022/06/the-awakening-to-reality-practice-guide.html

These are all you need for authentic buddhist practice.

===

Anyone who follows this site? So far, I've never found anyone who is able to elucidate the stages of awakening so clearly. And I've been a very devout student/practitioner of Buddhism for many years - even "traditional theravadin", "suttavada-style", "vipassana", "Zen", "mahayana", Vajrayana etc. If you want to stop searching, just look at this site. If you don't understand any of it, then you may be going on a wrong tangent in practice...

Life's short... 

Edited by taoguy

It has been a while since you posted this link. Has it helped you? Is it worth the time and effort to read and learn?

Elucidate the stages of awakening so clearly? Has this helped you awaken? Would it help anyone or only those who are doing his practices?

I've chatted with Soh a number of times and am satisfied that he knows what he is talking about. There aren't REALLY stages of awakening, so consider these an aid rather than a references. There are MANY maps of the enlightened territory, from the Four Stage map, the Bhumis, the Oxherding pictures, ad nauseum, and all of them seem to have useful aspects to them. 

Posted (edited)

I was really looking for milestones. Things that would show itself when one has moved forward along this journey. That way I would know what I am doing is sort a right?? But, I think I come up short because I never have such experiences. No dramas, no insights, no feelings of energy. Only feeling lack of sleep. Finding myself staring into space. Thoughts rush in and out of which I have no control.

The analogy would be like floating in the middle of the ocean just hanging onto a piece of wood. The night is cloudy. With no sense of  direction, swim this way or that way makes no immediate difference. Effort is weak. All that can be seen is no change. Just stuck. Then, from desperation, the five stages of grief. Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance. Lastly, Give up and try again later.

So, ever since beginning this when I was young, it has been off and on. Mostly off. And as I get older (65), I find myself at the bottom of the stairs again wishing to climb higher this time around. Reminds me of Moody Blues "Late Lament". Breath deep the gathering gloom, Watch light fade from every room, Bedsitter people look back and lament, Another day's useless energy is spent.

Genetically in line for dementia. Good thing. This way I can forget my failures and become a different person.

Edited by Tommy
  • Like 1

Lack of sleep result in low energy and a general more primitive view of life and negative emotions, like depression, anxiety etc. 

Awakening to Reality starts with self inquiry and a doubtless sense of being as the first stage. Getting there requires lots of work. 

On 4/19/2024 at 9:10 PM, Tommy said:

I was really looking for milestones. Things that would show itself when one has moved forward along this journey. That way I would know what I am doing is sort a right?? But, I think I come up short because I never have such experiences. No dramas, no insights, no feelings of energy. Only feeling lack of sleep. Finding myself staring into space. Thoughts rush in and out of which I have no control.

Are you working with a teacher, or meditating? Let's hear more about that.

From MY perspective, entirely off the top of my head, and with a 101 degree fever (so possibly missing some things):

Your first insight might be the realization of just how unbearably noisy your mind is outside of meditation practice. 

If you are meditating at least 20 minutes a day or hopefully more, you will find that you become less reactive, more calm, and develop a "pause" before emotional outbursts that enables you to wait through the wave of emotion and respond in a more relaxed and kind manner. This would be one of the earlier hallmarks of a dedicated practitioner.

You might have "pointing out' instruction from a teacher and now be able to recognize "emptiness" with some effort. In daily life you will begin to learn to see it in your meditation practice, and attempt allowing this to well up in during your day. 

Eventually you start to have "access concentration", a stableness and abiding in your meditation practice that allows using your practice for inquiry. 

There are a lot more things like this, but usually I just see it come up in a student as they develop. 

If you don't, but CAN have an in-person teacher, I would highly suggest it. 

Thanks for the reply. I do not have a teacher. Did have one when I first began meditating. Then mostly off (and on). I noticed the noise in my head. But, mostly that anything I do in this life has this noise or mind in order to move forward. Otherwise, there is no desire to do anything. And, it becomes hard to understand anything without this noisy mind. Looking for milestones was important to me, one time. I seem to have given up looking for progress now. And just enjoy the company of people who know more than I do.

Note: I have not notice being kinder or nicer or more patient. But, I do like to spend time just sitting. 

Edited by Tommy
  • Like 1

On 19/4/2024 at 2:01 AM, stirling said:

I've chatted with Soh a number of times and am satisfied that he knows what he is talking about. There aren't REALLY stages of awakening, so consider these an aid rather than a references. There are MANY maps of the enlightened territory, from the Four Stage map, the Bhumis, the Oxherding pictures, ad nauseum, and all of them seem to have useful aspects to them. 

Not forgetting the four Mahamudra yogas which are, for me, the most detailed stages to be found in buddhism. Check Dakpo Tashi Namgyal.

Also the five ranks of Tosan are very interesting, but less clear...

There're many stage models in buddhism...

The Thusness/John Tan model (adopted by Soh) is interesting and fits also some other models, but being so "clear" is also a problem because people have a tendency to focus too much on objectives, milestones, realization and results, and that is an hindrance. Also a way for a lot of self-deceit.

But also of value, no doubt.

Edited by tao.te.kat

6 hours ago, tao.te.kat said:

Not forgetting the four Mahamudra yogas which are, for me, the most detailed stages to be found in buddhism. Check Dakpo Tashi Namgyal.

Indeed! Big fan of "Clarifying the Natural State". Also worth reading the last few feet of the understanding: "Progressive Stages of Meditation on Emptiness" by Khenpo Tsultrim Gyamtso Rinpoche.

Also the five ranks of Tosan are very interesting, but less clear...

Agreed. 

The Thusness/John Tan model (adopted by Soh) is interesting and fits also some other models, but being so "clear" is also a problem because people have a tendency to focus too much on objectives, milestones, realization and results, and that is an hindrance. Also a way for a lot of self-deceit.

Absolutely. One need someone who has complete insight to help navigate maps like this. Self-diagnosis  isn't always helpful, especially when you might never encounter some of the map locations (I'm looking at you here, Progress of Insight). 

So, what is your practice background?

>Big fan of "Clarifying the Natural State".

I did the translation of the book to spanish in case anyone is interested.

at https://blogdetao.org

>So, what is your practice background?

Started some decades ago with zen but mostly by my own and friends, and switched to Essence Mahamudra which is mostly similar but more clear :) and without paradoxal language.

But in the middle I studied Vedanta, the Thusness model, Dzogchen, etc... I'm semi-old... :D I've talked with John Tan and Soh from time to time. Very nice people.

Best wishes.

Edited by tao.te.kat

Sign in to follow this