dwai

Taiji, Dao and Emptiness

Was going through some of my teacher's notes from his sessions with Master Liao --

Taiji progresses this way --

Wuji (Nothing/Emptiness, i.e. 0) --> Taiji (movement, i.e., 1) --> 2 (Left and right) --> 4 (Left, Right, Front and Back) --> 8 (Bagua, i.e., L,R,F,B,Up, Down, In and Out) --> Everything (9) 

The idea is Taiji practice must be done from the above perspective. Ideally, we must let it happen as shown above (not youwei but wuwei). 

He then tied it back into a discussion of "The ability". The ability is what is important, not the action/activity itself. It reminds me of the Kena Upanishad verses which I share after this. 

You follow this process, then return to nothing. Nothing has the capacity to become everything. Both ability and capacity are there. That is why this is the most powerful.

0. Nothing, but can create everything.

1. Ability to see.

2. Ability to hear

3. Ability to smell.

4. Ability to feel.

5. Ability to taste.

6. Ability to think.

7. Ability to discriminate.

8. Accumulated knowledge

9. Everything, be part of everything to return to 0.

This is something I've been asked to contemplate, with the meditation practices of Temple style. What gives one "the ability" to do anything, to think even. That is what needs to be known/understood/realized.

Here are the verses from the Kena Upanishad themselves.

यद्वाचानभ्युदितं येन वागभ्युद्यते ।
तदेव ब्रह्म त्वं विद्धि नेदं यदिदमुपासते ॥ ४ ॥

yadvācānabhyuditaṃ yena vāgabhyudyate |
tadeva brahma tvaṃ viddhi nedaṃ yadidamupāsate || 4 ||

4. What speech does not enlighten, but what enlightens speech, know that alone to be the Brahman, not this which (people) here worship.

यन्मनसा न मनुते येनाहुर्मनो मतम् ।
तदेव ब्रह्म त्वं विद्धि नेदं यदिदमुपासते ॥ ५ ॥

yanmanasā na manute yenāhurmano matam |
tadeva brahma tvaṃ viddhi nedaṃ yadidamupāsate || 5 ||

5. What one cannot think with the mind, but by which they say the mind is made to think, know That alone to be the Brahman, not this which (people) here worship. (5)

यच्चक्षुषा न पश्यति येन चक्षूँषि पश्यति ।
तदेव ब्रह्म त्वं विद्धि नेदं यदिदमुपासते ॥ ६ ॥

yaccakṣuṣā na paśyati yena cakṣūm̐ṣi paśyati |
tadeva brahma tvaṃ viddhi nedaṃ yadidamupāsate || 6 ||

6. What cannot be seen by the eye, but by which the eyes are able to see. That alone know thou to be the Brahman; not this which (people) here worship.

यच्छ्रोत्रेण न शृणोति येन श्रोत्रमिँश्रुतम् ।
तदेव ब्रह्म त्वं विद्धि नेदं यदिदमुपासते ॥ ७ ॥

yacchrotreṇa na śṛṇoti yena śrotramim̐śrutam |
tadeva brahma tvaṃ viddhi nedaṃ yadidamupāsate || 7 ||

7. What cannot be heard with the ear, but by which the ears are able to hear, That alone know thou to be the Brahman; not this which (people) here worship.

यत्प्राणेन न प्राणिति येन प्राणः प्रणीयते ।
तदेव ब्रह्म त्वं विद्धि नेदं यदिदमुपासते ॥ ८ ॥

yatprāṇena na prāṇiti yena prāṇaḥ praṇīyate |
tadeva brahma tvaṃ viddhi nedaṃ yadidamupāsate || 8 ||

8. What none breathes with the breath, but by which breath is in-breathed, That alone know thou to be the Brahman; not this which (people) here worship.

Edited by dwai
  • Like 2