smallrock

Hello, hi, and how are you?

Hi everyone,

I'm writing this as an obligatory introduction. I'm not very good at these things, but going to give it the old college try. Whatever that is.

I've been practising meditation for about three years now, starting in the pragmatic dharma corner of things, then gradually eking toward more spiritual practice. Lately, I've been immersed in Vajyarana Buddhism, and delving into the Gelugpa school. It's brought a lot of beauty to my practise, and helped me with my inability to visualize in meditation. I complement it with good old fashion shamatha practise, by way of John Yates' "The Mind Illuminated". 

But, I've also been very drawn to Daoism—specifically the Tao Te Ching. I read it frequently because it calms me down, and I think, naturally, I kind of embody the spirit of it. By nature, I'm quite content to let things be as they are and not struggle against the world. This has been confusing for me, because I live in a world where ambition and fighting upstream is valued above everything else, and I've often felt a little out of place or ostracized because I sometimes don't get what the "fuss" is all about.

Since COVID started, I've also started taking some online (YouTube) QiGong classes. I've been really shut off from my energy for, like, ever. Like, never really been able to feel any "chi" and always thought of it as low-grade bs. As I've been doing some introductory practises, I feel like I am opening up and becoming for aware of the sensations of these things, which is pretty cool! And surprising! And is challenging that inner cynic deep within me that comes from being raised in a straight objective realism environment. 

I'm looking forward to learning more from everyone here and diving into all the subs, threads, and thoughts collected on this site. Thankful for this space, and can't wait to talk our way through the way together.

cheers,

smallrock

Welcome to the Tao Bums.  A wonderful forum to learn, discuss and cultivate.  Below are 3 important sections: Our Rules, The Insult Policy and our 3 Foundations.  Before you join give them a read. 

Most of it boils down to being respectful.  No name calling or trolling.  Post as if your mom's looking over your shoulder.  Discussion and arguments are what the board is about.  Keep it civil, don't get personal.  Don't be a troll or one issue zealot. 

We're here for good conversation and make some friend along the way, to be a community.  Jump right in, start threads asking questions, look for interesting threads and post your (relevant) thoughts. 

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Michael and the TDB team

Read and review Our Rules:

Our Insult Policy- Read it, Live it

Welcome aboard.  In the time of Covid, this provides a good place to chat and learn.