Sign in to follow this  
Earl Grey

Volcanoooooo

14 hours ago, Walker said:

Omg,

Hyperbole made real.

There is literally a volcano raising ash on one man's neighborhood, poisoning the air, wreaking havoc in his community, and threatening further explosions,

While there is another man who sees this as a good time to start jibbering about the Catholic church and colonialism.

I could see @gendao walking past somebody on the street who's just been hit by a car, looking down, noticing that the victim has a crucifix necklace, and going, "hmm, welll, see, did you realize that that's a colonial icon around your neck? No wonder you got hit by a car, it must have been the revenge of the aboriginal spirits, and how ironic that they would use industrial technology to exact vengeance! I would call an ambulance for you, but actually western medicine is high carbon footprint violation of natural principles. And anyway, if you weren't brainwashed by the Europeans you wouldn't be afraid of death. Plus, to be honest, I don't want to call 911 for you because I'm pretty sure they play subsonic brainwashing waves through the earpiece if you call the authorities. So sorry, I have to go, you see if I get to McDonald's after 10am they already switched from breakfast menu to normal menu and then I can't get my six Egg McMuffins and four hashbrowns that I need to eat to have enough energy to play World of Warcraft all day. Ta-ta!"

Amazing. In one sentence:

"That boy ain't right."

It seems that his behaviour is sickening to everyone but himself .

• Like 2

14 hours ago, gendao said:

^ Lol, try reading this thread from page 2 and see who politicized it first (ranting about Duterte, China, etc)?  Um, what does China even have to do with this volcano?  And also already called zerostao an Asshole, BTW? 

You're like the latecomer who only sees the last punch in a scuffle and has zero clue what led up to it.  Of course, it matters not to you - you just opportunistically see an opening to blow off some steam and take another swing at me, lol.

What led up to it ????  Are you kidding ?

What led up to it has been your continual ranting  about the same thing over and over regardless of the subject .

And you talk about 'cognitive dissonance '   .

• Like 2

14 hours ago, GSmaster said:

I noticed this when working in hospital Operating Theatre  . I could see many OT nurses and doctors , had a mask on, but wore it so you  could see gaps all round .

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2020/01/20/1986346/number-taal-evacuees-still-rising-now-112000-ndrrmc

Evacuee numbers according to Philippine Star: 112,000 and rising. 

"Over 215,000 people from the provinces of Batangas, Quezon, Laguna and Cavite have been affected by Taal Volcano's unrest, NDRRMC said, adding that some 69,304 individuals are being served outside proper evacuation centers." 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Small vendors are hit hard by the volcano's destruction: https://www.rappler.com/nation/249787-video-taal-volcano-eruption-hits-small-vendors

One mayor is pissed and wants the Phivolcs to already lower the alert level so that people can go home, but it doesn't work that way...https://www.rappler.com/nation/249823-phivolcs-advisory-taal-volcano-status-january-21-2020

Mostly because 

In its 8 am bulletin on Tuesday, Phivolcs said "weak steam emission" persisted from Taal's main crater in the past 24 hours. This "generated ash plumes 500 to 600 meters tall and dispersed ash southwest of the main crater."

The sulfur dioxide (SO2) emission, meanwhile, was measured at an average of 344 tons per day, which is relatively low compared to over 4,000 tons in previous measurements. SO2 is a major gas component of magma.

Bornas explained that SO2 levels have been fluctuating, so far.

"The fluctuation actually reflects [the] interaction between [the] groundwater and the magma.... This could be one of the reasons, but definitely it means that magma is at the shallow level of the volcano," she said.

As for volcanic earthquakes, Bornas said the numbers are going down, but "the eruptible magma...is already in place."

"The trend of the seismicity is lowering...but the type of earthquake signifies that there is magma intrusion," she explained.

"We have ground deformation signifying that the volcano is still inflated and is still inflating," she added, referring to another indication that magma is rising.

Phivolcs is using two networks to monitor volcanic earthquakes – the Philippine Seismic Network which covers the whole country, and the Taal Volcano Network, which includes small earthquakes undetected by the former.

The Philippine Seismic Network has plotted 718 volcanic earthquakes since 1 pm of January 12. Of these, 176 were magnitudes 1.2 to 4.1 and were felt at Intensities I to V.

From 5 am on Monday, January 20, until 5 am on Tuesday – or a 24-hour period – there were 5 volcanic earthquakes plotted at magnitudes 1.6 to 2.5, with no felt event.

The Taal Volcano Network, meanwhile, recorded 448 volcanic earthquakes, including 17 low-frequency earthquakes, in the past 24 hours.

"Such intense seismic activity likely signifies continuous magmatic intrusion beneath the Taal edifice, which may lead to further eruptive activity," Phivolcs said in its bulletin.

I'm gearing up to go volunteer this week probably if I get clearance to help out. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 1/20/2020 at 3:13 PM, Earl Grey said:

In the meanwhile, people who want to donate can follow this list on CNN Philippines. Other sites have some recommendations too, like Primer, and a list of what not to donate from Esquire. 

I personally can suggest:

1. Help evacuees directly through the Philippine Red Cross
  2. Helping animals through PAWS or PETA,
  3. If you want to give to the churches or schools, you can do that too, but if you want me to handle direct donations, you can send it to me and I will forward the funds to the appropriate group then give you paperwork to reflect your donation went where it was supposed to go. One member wanted to help animals, so I am going to forward their donation to help animals there. 

Here's a photo for one org that is doing this through Facebook, which I don't use, but my friend screen captured to help get donations.

One of those is the PPBCC Foundation for animals (who spayed my dogs and cats, follow Trap, Neuter, Release for strays and offer homes to rescued animals):

photo_2020-01-20_15-04-15.thumb.jpg.4a54b491466cd3e3158268919546e449.jpg

photo_2020-01-20_15-07-04.thumb.jpg.a16d8b04b0d21aa1cc1fe33ce9ebd091.jpg

Reposting this so people can continue to give and ignore the hijacking that keeps occurring. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Universities have more space for evacuees right now, as there just isn't enough space...https://www.rappler.com/nation/249861-limited-facilities-hinder-sucs-accommodate-taal-volcano-eruption-evacuees. They need food really badly.

The government is forcing people out of their homes to avoid repeat of the disaster when the typhoon struck in 2013 when people returned home prematurely and casualties and losses were greater. https://www.rappler.com/nation/249856-video-government-force-residents-out-homes-taal-volcano-danger-zone

And government in-fighting occurs when the VP Robredo is trying to help but her opponents in the government seek to discredit her--opponents who include a former pop singer who was hired on the basis of her fake news blog supporting Duterte to become an official government communications officer. https://www.rappler.com/nation/249877-robredo-returns-batangas-cavite-give-more-aid-taal-volcano-eruption-evacuees

Government politics within Duterte's government and China's opportunistic approach politicize natural disasters and ultimately harm the people who need help. Politicizing any disaster is disgusting as it means turning people's suffering into bargaining tools. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this