Sign in to follow this  
Marblehead

Mair 12:10

At a meeting with Chi Ch'e, Chianglŭ Mien {{The identity of these two men is not known.}} said to him, "The lord of Lu asked to receive my teachings, but I declined because I had not been given a command.  In the end, however, I did tell him, but I don't know whether what I said was on the mark or not.  Please let me repeat it to you.  What I said to the lord of Lu was this:  'You must exercise respect and restraint, promote fairness and loyalty, and be without partiality.  Who among the people, then, would dare to be uncooperative?'"

"Your words, sir;" said Chi Ch'e with a chuckle, "insofar as they relate to the virtue of an emperor or a king, are like a mantis waving its arms angrily trying to stop a chariot in its tracks.  Surely, they won't be up to the task.  If he were to follow your recommendations, he would situate himself precariously among his observatories and terraces with their numerous objects, while opportunists would rush about in droves."
"I am bewildered by your words, sir," said Chianglŭ Mien, his eyes bulging with amazement.  "Nevertheless, I hope you will explain the general drift."

"In governing all under heaven," said Chi Ch'e, "the great sage gives free rein to the people's minds.  He lets them have their own ready-made doctrines and simple customs.  Totally eradicating their thievish intentions, he would encourage their singular ambitions, as though they were doing it of their own nature, but the people would not know why they did so.  Such being the case, would he treat Yao and Shun as his older brothers in teaching the people?  Or would he unconsciously treat them as younger brothers?  His only desire would be for the people to agree with virtue and rest peacefully in it."

Sign in to follow this