Mal

Ebook readers

Hi All,

Anyone got a Kindle? They look pretty cool, and also pretty pointless for me as they won't work in Aus :( But I love books and because I'm into weird stuff I'm always waiting 2 weeks for what I want to turn up in the post. D is currently reading books on her laptop, but that is because I had to kick her off the PC last night :)

There are heaps of ebook readers out there, any recommendations?

i have no recommendations b/c i find it very difficult to do much screen reading. my eyes always feel strained after a while. i'm all about the dead wood version...and i'm a writer, voracious reader and tech teacher :D

i find it very difficult to do much screen reading.

Me too, find it hard to page through documents too, nothing is as user friendly as a book :) But this kindle thing is suppose to be like reading paper.

I'm sulking because I've got 6 books in the mail at the moment and I'm just sitting here posting on the net....

There is a dedicated forum here:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/

Summary:

• there are not as many models as you might expect
  • they either have small screens, or are pretty expensive
  • they all have various design and usability problems
  • the formats for e-books is a can of worms

I'd expect them to get usable in a year or two...

Me too, find it hard to page through documents too, nothing is as user friendly as a book :) But this kindle thing is suppose to be like reading paper.

I'm sulking because I've got 6 books in the mail at the moment and I'm just sitting here posting on the net....

i know what you mean. I've got two piles of 7 books each sitting in my living room. eventually i'll get to all of them :rolleyes:

have you checked out goodreads.com? you can post reviews there and read others' reviews. great stuff and rather addicting

BTT for more current thoughts.

My partner has a BeBook and that has been REALLY good. Yes you have to muck around with the files occasionally to get a decent text size, but it is pretty straightforward to use and the E-paper screen is easy on the eyes.

I'm impressed with it and it has saved us a lot in paper book costs, but I still prefer the real thing :)