ankhmor

Common history of yoga and qigong

3 hours ago, Sahaja said:

Shandor Remete is an initiate of the Kanphata Nath Sampradaya out of the Goraknath Temple in Katmandu who has some online courses and some affiliated teachers in NA. While not a south Asian Siddhar Nath tradition, his tradition, like what Dwai mentions, features a focus on a few key asanas (e.g. mulabandasana, candasana, etc.). Not limited to asana it also  focuses on the more esoteric elements of yoga like laya and nada as well as the Nrtta. while I am not aware of any linkage between Shandor and the Siddhar tradition, interestingly in my own readings  I’ve found reference to a number of things Shandor emphasizes in an important classic medieval  Siddhar  text called the Tirumantiram by Siddhar Thirumoolar (one of the 18 Siddhars) These include what Thirumoolar calls Chandra Yoga, the Chidambaram dance and khechari mudra. So there appears to have been a connection between North and South at some point.

Shandor just published a new book that’s available on Amazon called Taranyali Tridha Dhyanam; The Threefold Meditations of the Thunder Dragon that describes one path that he teaches in a fairly descriptive way. It has a history of the Naths, description of the subtle body anatomy, the specific steps of the practice as well some details on some practices I have not seen in other yoga books such as the seven levels of shambavi mudra. The path leads to Amanaska yoga which is also known as the yoga beyond the mind.  

Shandor’s book may be a good place to start to see if his path resonates with you. 

Thank you very much for this! I will def check him out. Some of his classes are only about $15-$20/month which is very manageable. Incidentally, I have also studied a very small bit of the Tirumantiram through the Himalayan Academy. Its awesome to see the common origin! 

https://www.himalayanacademy.com/view/tirumantiram

Thank you again!

• Like 1