tiandizhijian

Between heaven and earth

I'm trying to determine the Traditional Chinese and pinyin phrase that essentially means "between heaven and earth".

All of my research to figure this out was done through Wikipedia, and I think it's pretty accurate, but I was hoping to get an authoritative response on the matter.

Tiān means heaven. Dì mean earth. These two are clear I think.

I think jiàn in this context would mean between, so thus what I believe the phrase in pinyin would be is tiāndì jiàn.

I need a bit of hand holding through the Tradition (or Simplified) Chinese characters for such.

Please provide some insight if you can. Thank you in advance.

• Like 1

To expound on why I think it's jiàn, I found the word for between using an English to Chinese dictionary, then confirmed the pinyin and found both the Simplified and Traditional Chinese characters for the word. Hopefully this link will work: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E9%96%93

Therefore, seemingly since I confirmed that each word means what I think it means, my question has evolved to this: can you properly say "between heaven and earth" as tiāndì jiàn? And how would you write out the Traditional and or Simplified Chinese characters?

Edited by Jeb
  • Like 1

Is this what you are looking for?

天地之間, I found this in DDJ chapter 5: the space between heaven and earth

• Like 2

It does, thank you. I'm happy you found it in an authoritative text as well. I haven't read the DDJ yet, only browsed through specific sections of the text, so hadn't noticed chapter 5 until now.

Thank you for the find Mig.

Edited by Jeb
  • Like 1