Sign in to follow this  
TruthSeeker

Qigong empowerment by Shou Yu Liang and When Ching Wu

Hello everyone, this my first post. I am a long time practitioner of martial qigong.I am now moving from a hard style to soft style. I seek cultivation. My goal is Taiji, qigong and meditation daily.

The book "Qigong Empowerment" is excellent. I was wondering if any of you have experience with this book?

Thanks in advance for any guidance and friendly banter.

Yes, my very first experimentation with Qi Gong was from that book. I honestly would not recommend trying to practice from it - the instructions are often vague in places, mashed together from different sources, from memory they give little or no advice on the prerequisites for practicing the kind of exercises they teach (opening the MCO), and the techniques they give are rather blunt and forceful and could easily cause problems (in fact I experienced serious side effects while using their methods, and it put me off qigong training for a year until I found better sources for instruction). I'd be surprised if anyone has actually managed to successfully complete the training outlined in that book using the book alone as a source, to be honest,

I'm not trying to put you off your pursuits, but I really think there are better sources for instruction out there. Unless you live in a rural area you should start by seeking out a teacher, especially for the Taiji. There's really no replacement for a real life, living and breathing teacher who can sit in front of you, demonstrate firsthand and correct your mistakes.

If you still want instruction beyond what you can find in person, check out the recommendations in this thread: http://www.thedaobums.com/topic/40061-potent-systems/page-1

As far as books go, I'd especially recommend Damo Mitchell's books as a replacement for Qigong Empowerment, primarily Daoist Nei Gong ( https://www.amazon.com/Daoist-Nei-Gong-Philosophical-Change/dp/1848190654 ) - it's much more coherent, cohesive and extensive, especially for a beginner, and contains a lot of techniques, tips and theoretical information that will be useful even if you don't pursue the practical training in the book itself.

Good luck :)

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this