林愛偉

Head On Top of A Head

Head On Top of A Head

By: Lin Zi Yi

The investigation of the Koan, or Hua Tou, is what cultivates the capacity to comprehend an answer. It is putting a head on top of a head, and then dropping them both. The Koan is the tool. It is a false thought used to end other false thoughts. The idea of an answer is also false. The investigation of a Koan is concentration power development. When the mind is without random thoughts, Wisdom is present.

When the mind is scattered without concentration power, there is ignorance. The koan develops concentration power and a result of developing concentration power is lack of random, scattered thoughts which pull one in all directions.

The koan is not the answer to anything, but the method which its function of stopping the mind from false thinking is emphasized through concentrating on it while not holding on to it by the words used, yet its literary structure (text) is a direct answer. The koan leads one to “individualize” its meaning, bring one to understanding through their own reasoning, and logic. In turn, the investigating of a koan is the dropping of one’s personal attachments to their views; makes them question it, take it apart and dissolve it.

The answer sought in the koan is according to the capacity of the mind holding it. Koans are the tool whose function is to direct the mind to the mind. Then, both koan and mind must be dropped. The answer of the koan is not an answer. The thought of there being an answer, points to a no-answer. Then, there is defilement, discriminating mind. In the line(s) of a koan, the words are positioned specifically to make one lock into contemplation.

'Blue sky, black sky. Nothing at all.'

Where's the answer? Not the words. The manner in which it is written causes the mind to investigate. The investigating develops concentration power, and as a result, an awakening through the koan. The answer is in loss.

'Blue sky, black sky. Nothing at all.'

This sentence points to the non dual nature. Blue sky and Black sky is what one sees through discrimination. In actuality, there is no sky. Therefore, where do the distinction of colors attach to?

For the sake of saying; One thinks with the mind about things that are created from the mind. They get attached to these things, and think them to be real. A koan will have one concentrate on the mind in investigating the meaning of the koan, which when understood is of the mind, yet the koan would point to one's non dual nature. The safe thing about it all, is that concentrating on the koan eventually stops the false thinking, or at least brings one's attention away from their false, and scattered thinking.

Use a false thought to end all false thoughts. It returns the concentration of mind to see the mind, and drop the attachment of their being a mind. Drop all views and see the original nature.

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

Edited by 林愛偉

Its not a koan, but the thought, 'What will my next thought be?' has an uncanny ability to quiet my mind for a while.

Michael

Its not a koan, but the thought, 'What will my next thought be?' has an uncanny ability to quiet my mind for a while.

Michael

That's a good one! I really like that.

When I was a child, my sister directed me in meditation to "listen to the thought before the thought, and then to drop them both in order to get to the root cause of my thinking."

With your permission, I would like to utilize your "thought" as a teaching to my future students when using contemplative methods for awakening.

Your "thought" points to the conditions in which one associates their manner of thinking, reaction, and directs them to see the cause of their habit. It is very useful.

Peace and Blessings,

Lin