Samadhology

Former AYPer, with questions about Samatha practice

Hello, everyone. Apparently I must start in the Lobby. So here I am. :)

I’ve been following some of the discussions here for a while, particularly the AYP-related posts by Tibetan_Ice and Seeker of Tao.

I opened an account in order to direct some questions to Tibetan_Ice and Seeker of Tao in particular and to the community in general. Of course, everyone is welcome to respond!

I had a longer pst planned, but I pulled my back a couple of days ago, so I’m in pain here - but not excruciatingly so. At any rate, I’ll keep this short because sitting in this chair is rather uncomfortable.

I’ve been doing AYP for a little over two years now, but some of the discussions about it here have given me cause to re-evaluate the practice. I’ve arrived at the understanding that Samatha meditation seems more structured and offers a clearer path toward a fuller experiencing and enjoyment of the fruits of meditative practice. Accordingly, Wallace’s “The Attention Revolution” is my “practice manual.” At any rate, folks here seem to agree that it’s a valuable resource, and I have to agree. It’s a gem.

So this is characteristically Buddhist practice. One first does Samatha and then Vipassana. I’m not sure whether concurrently or consecutively, but at this time I’m content with directing my energies to Samatha practice.

The concern, though, is what of Kundalini meditation and prana work? I must admit that Kundalini meditation - among the laity at least - has achieved mythic status. It’s like a drug, and those of us who engaged in these practices for any length of time probably have the image of that coiled serpent energy rushing up our spine and bursting through the crown chakra fixed firmly in our mind. It seems to be the Gold Medal of Kundalini meditation. So I’m concerned that I might be missing out on this, while at the same time I can freely admit that maybe I’ve developed some fantasies about it. At any rate, it would appear that Samatha mediation is probably necessary for *any* kind of chakra work later on. It seems to be a foundational practice, and these serpent energies will come of their own accord anyway.

Additionally, there’s prana. What of that? In Samatha meditation we don’t force or control the breath; we simply allow ourselves to breath naturally as part of the practice. But what of the benefits of prana work - pranayama/spinal breathing, breath of fire, etc. ?

So I’m a little confused at this point. However, Wallace’s work is quite inspirational, and I’ve decided to press forward with Samatha meditation regardless. I don’t think Kundalini energies would function very well in the presence of an unquiet mind.

Thanks for your time.

Christian.

Hello and welcome to the Tao Bums.

You will now be free to post on the forum and I am sure that you will be able to find answers to your concerns.

Before getting started however please take the time to read the two posts pinned at the top of the Lobby and take a look at the forum terms and rules http://thetaobums.com/topic/19575-forum-terms-rules/ This covers all that you need be aware of when getting started.

Good luck and best wishes,

Chang.

Hey Christian. In my experience, Kundalini is overrated. I think Mantak Chia stated that he didn't like it because it was all fire and not a balance of the elements. Too intense. That was my experience of it as well. I'm sure there are people who have integrated this energy usefully and purposefully into their lives, but don't be seduced by tales of power and legend. I can certainly relate to having fantasies surrounding this and a feeling that I will miss the boat and the opportunity it provides to spiritual expansion, but common sense tells me this is akin to a tree, and that slow growth is strong growth. Fast tracks and promises of quick results are fraught with instability. Personally, I would love to have my pre-kundalini life back. It was simpler and more satisfying. I have also watched people on a slower path progress further than I due to me getting stuck and wrestling with my own experiences. That's my 2c anyway. Other members may have more encouraging takes on it. All the best.

PS. Lying on the floor with your legs up on the couch and your knees and hips at 90 degrees is a comfortable resting position for a sore back. You will be in the same position as if you were sitting on a chair, except facing the ceiling. It will put the spine in a neutral position where it can relax a little :-)