Sign in to follow this  
yabyum24

Nei Gung - Any Good (Practical) Books?

You have a teacher :). Definitely talk with him/her about such things and ask for their recommendations. At the very least any book recommended would mesh well with what you are already practicing. There is also a chance that you are already being taught niegong stuff (sometimes teachers will just throw a few bits in, but not specify it is neigong), or could be by your same teacher. Or perhaps they know someone local who does...

I had a word with him last night and it turns out that some of the "warm up" stuff we do is qigong based. They also teach the eight strands, though he recommended I get familiar with the form first. A step at a time essentially. It's just my nature to be curious and impatient when I discover something new.

• Like 1

As a side note, everybody thinks that George Lucas used Liao Sigung's killing entire village as a theme in "Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones" in 2002. We can not know it 100% of course, but it makes sense to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Episode_II:_Attack_of_the_Clones

After meeting his new stepfather Cliegg Lars, as well as his stepbrother Owen, Anakin learns that Shmi was kidnapped by Tusken Raiders some weeks earlier. Anakin arrives at the tribe's campsite to rescue Shmi, only to discover too late that his mother was tortured to death. After Anakin kills everyone at the campsite, he returns with Shmi's body and reveals his crime to Padmé, who comforts him.

• Like 1

I had a word with him last night and it turns out that some of the "warm up" stuff we do is qigong based. They also teach the eight strands, though he recommended I get familiar with the form first. A step at a time essentially. It's just my nature to be curious and impatient when I discover something new.

I thought that might be the case if you had a good traditional teacher ;).

Yes, that is where we hide that sort of stuff, in the "warmups". I have even had some teachers go so far as to tell me that the sparring and applications parts of the classes are to just keep people coming back.... Of course principals are taught in these as well, but it is the "warmups" which are the essential part for the first quite a few years. There are also some other hidden things in those warmups, as you will discover over time.

I would quite honestly say that even the most mundane of those warmups your teacher makes you do, will bring you further than any book (books are more for if you don't have a teacher, and/or just want an intellectual understanding) or advice given on the net. Though sometimes a good book on the practice is handy since you can read through them then go ask your teacher more questions. I definitely don't recommend adding an extra practice though, but more just to have more knowledge on the subject and know what to look for in class :).

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this