Sign in to follow this  
Kongming

Taoism as Practiced in Asia Today

I don't post as often as I should here, but in the past I expressed interest in the idea of becoming a monk in China. At the time I understood less than I should, but since then I've been exploring Taoism further. Though I will admit I got a bit skeptical about my chances as a Westerner of successfully finding my way into a serious Taoist setting in Asia where I could be taught by a real master, not only from the level of practicality but also because of what various Chinese individuals I've spoken to say about contemporary Taoism. Many of them have said that Taoism today is largely a tourist money generator and that the Cultural Revolution wrecked much of Taoism.

While it may be the case that China has suffered spiritually from the effects of Marxism and now contemporary consumerism, I doubt that among over 1 billion people there isn't a real Taoist master to be found. While not featuring Taoists, the film "Amongst White Clouds" still provides huge inspiration to me, and recently I discovered a French woman who became a Taoist nun in China:

http://www.bjreview.com.cn/nation/txt/2007-05/15/content_63949.htm

There's some videos on youtube about her as well.

This renewed my hope that there may be a chance for me to successfully become involved as a Quanzhen monk somewhere in China (or Taiwan), though I am also interested in the possible existence of any Shangqing/Maoshan masters that be out there.

My questions are a bit similar to what I've asked before on this forum, but perhaps there may be some new or further insights on the matter. They are as follows:

1. What are thoughts of the people here on the attainability of this goal? Would it be that serious Taoism still is out there, or are the Chinese skeptics I've spoken to right in saying that it is largely a dead or dying tradition?

2. What are the main practices of Taoists in Asia today? While I have a moderate interest in Qigong, Taichi, Wudang martial arts, Taoist ritual, etc., what I am primarily interested in is apophatic mediation (zuowang), internal alchemy (neidan), Taoist esotericism, and spiritual awakening in a Taoist context. In other words, practices like those of the early Quanzhen monks, those in Charle's Luk's "Taoist Yoga", and meditation like that in the Secret of the Golden Flower. Are those practices still prevalent today and are living masters from real lineages who teach these practices still to be found?

Thanks in advance for any help, I appreciate any advice or insight anyone may have to offer on these issues.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this