PLB

Wu Yuxiang style as described by Hao Shaoru

I have started practicing the form described here at the Brennan translation site.

There are many different variations of this style. I am learning the form as taught through the Dong family. It is a great complement to the Yang Cheng Fu 108. It simplifies and complicates at the same time.

But the range of interpretation prompts me to ask you Bums if any of you all are involved with this form. What Shaoru emphasized has been taken in a lot of different directions than what I have been taught.

This form is where Sun Lu Tang derived his version of Tai Chi Chuan. His writing has become more alive for me now that I can understand what he chose to emphasize or not.

• Like 1

I have trained in Tung lineage for many years, my shifu was a student of Tung Ying Chieh and taught in Thailand with Tung Hu Ling, but we do not do any Hao style forms, those (the actual hao forms in total) may have been added back in by Tung Ying Chieh's Younger grand son Dong Zengchen.

However Tung Ying Chieh did train Wu Hao style prior to trained with Yang Cheng Fu and the second fast form is a combination of Yang and Wu Hao I do not believe that a complete Hao form was taught in the Tung (Dong) family until his younger Grandson Dong Zengchen started teaching it.

But I will say this, I have never trained Hao style, but I do like it, I am a big fan of Chen style and I have trained a little of that and I have trained a lot of Yang style and it is that combination that makes Hao style

Yulaw,

It is great to hear from another Dong lineage player here.

I hadn't known that it was Dong Zeng Chen who had emphasized practicing the Hao style. His version is indeed what I am practicing as shown by him here:

The form adheres to much of the Shaoru document I linked to but charts a different path as well.

The Hao style is definitely visible in the fast form but it also is behind the subtle differences in the family's version of Yang Cheng Fu 108 compared to other schools. In particular, getting used to turning on the weighted foot and the expression of Tiger Returns to Mountain.

I will have to think about comparing the Hao with the Chen style. I see one of your listed interest is in Xingyiquan. I see the Hao coming more from that energy, especially with the use of so many follow steps to advance and completely open.

Edited by PLB

Yulaw,

It is great to hear from another Dong lineage player here.

I hadn't known that it was Dong Zeng Chen who had emphasized practicing the Hao style. His version is indeed what I am practicing as shown by him here:

The form adheres to much of the Shaoru document I linked to but charts a different path as well.

The Hao style is definitely visible in the fast form but it also is behind the subtle differences in the family's version of Yang Cheng Fu 108 compared to other schools. In particular, getting used to turning on the weighted foot and the expression of Tiger Returns to Mountain.

I will have to think about comparing the Hao with the Chen style. I see one of your listed interest is in Xingyiquan. I see the Hao coming more from that energy, especially with the use of so many follow steps to advance and completely open.

Xingyiquan has power and it is my favorite ICMA style to train but watch Chen Laojia erlu and you will see a lot of energy too.

The originator of Wu/Hao style is Wu Yuxiang who was a student of Yang Luchan and Chen Qingping and I believe Wu Yuxiang studied with Chen Qingping first. Also depending on who you want to believe Zhaobao Taijiquan comes form Chen Qingping as well so look at Zhaobao and you will see a lot of energy too

Now I think I will go train some Xingyi